Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-16-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default What happened to the days

Where you needed to learn English to live in America?! I just saw a commercial on cable TV (not the Spanish channel, Court TV to be Exact) that was entirely in Spanish! (Advertising for Time Warner Cable) I'm sorry, but we speak English here. One hundred years ago all the immigrants learned to speak English, so why can't you? Get off your butt and learn! It is our native language afterall!

Makes me so angry. When I used to work at fast food (for those of you who know what "Culvers" is, I worked at one) I had a customer say "I don't wanna speak English, speak Spanish". I started talking German to him until he left

OK, rant over.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: What happened to the days

Yeah, pardon my gagsta-talk, but it is f-ing ridiculous. Immigrants nowadays just live where the others from their country live and just talk their native language.

It has gotten so bad that they are considering making a Hispanic translation of America's anthem official.

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

there is one channel on time warner cable that is Spanish only or it might just be in Spanish only when the news is on that certain channel ( i don't know what channel that is lol )
Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB PCI-E 16x
jo5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

100% agree dude, if you want to live an america LIVE LIKE ONE!
there is 3 easy steps to live like an american
1. Pay lots of money on taxes
2. Complain about everything
3. Speak English

EDIT:
or at least TRY
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

4. Si usted habla español, aprende por favor inglés.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 AM   #6
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

i dont speak spainish and im not using a translator but you asking people who speek spanish to please speak english?
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudster816 View Post
100% agree dude, if you want to live an america LIVE LIKE ONE!
there is 3 easy steps to live like an american
1. Pay lots of money on taxes
2. Complain about everything
3. Speak English

EDIT:
or at least TRY
I hear ya.

For example. My mom's family all come from Germany right after WWII. some of them were aged (around 70ish if I remember correctly) yet they all learned english. Yes, the ones who are still around have accents, but an accent is a lot easier to understand than a different languae.

It's pathetic how we are bending over backwards to help them. I don't mean to sound racist, but it seems to me that most of the problem is the Mexicans. People from Spain come here and speak English. Yet, we go to Mexico and try to live outside of the tourist area, if you don't speak spanish, your dead where you stand.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

Also look at this: illegal immigrants are ruining our workforce. Want to know why so many Americans need food stamps and are on welfare? Its because the employers would rather hire "no speak english" for 2 dollars an hour then "hey, im a working class man" for even the required minimum wage. I think its time we opened our eyes and take back our country.

i agree that everyone coming in this country should know how to carry out at least a basic conversation in english. require them to take a few classes over the course of a few weeks and then at the end of that take an english comprehension test, written and spoken. that would fix a lot of problems.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:16 AM   #9
Golden Master

I said that: if you speak spanish, please learn english.

I respect all races, but seriously, English is very important to live in America. It is essential if you want to live a good life here.

I myself came to America just five years ago, and learned English in three months top. It is not hard when you are submersed in the culture. Anyone should be able to do it.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Site Team

What's worse is when they try to deport illegals, then all the people put up a fight about them leaving. Well there is a right way to live here, and they chose not to do it! their fault! Oh well, the entire illegal thing is a whole different story. Maybe worthy of it's own thread.

{Edit} THelis, where did you come from?