What Is Good About Where You Live?

A kinda good thing about where I live is the prison basically next door, just over a hill but doesn't worry us.

I live near the Rocky mountains, they are only 35 minutes from where I'm at.

Everything is close by where I'm at. The super market is only 1 block away, also the gas station is also 1 block away.

All restaurants are only minutes away, downtown is only 15 minutes away....So is the football stadium. That park is only 2 blocks from my house.

And the best thing about our neighborhood is that there is no gangs around.

Hmm... if it is about the general way of life; rules and regulations of the law, here are some of them:

1- There are no taxes for individuals, or at least for someone like me who is of the vast majority. Taxes are enforced on business firms, and they are enforced to ensure receiving govt. services only. No penalties. The taxes are also based on the alms (a religious charity) which is only 2.5% annually of total owned not used money. I heard there are plans to put a tax on individuals owning unused lands for investment, but I'm not sure if it's on yet.

2- Local govt. sector universities/colleges provide a monthly allowance to who meets the requirements to join (not that difficult and requires normal efforts). It basically goes for the official period of the major then stops for extra semesters taken should one slack and repeat courses. About 15 years ago, it went for as long as one is still studying.

3- Health care for big and expensive, usually not affordable cases, is free once the case is confirmed and treatment necessary. My uncle had an open heart surgery and my father had a bed with medical attention for three days, for free.

4- Working hours in the fasting month of Ramadan are reduced. I for example get 6 hours a day instead of 8.

5- New graduates with no jobs are given a salary of SR 2,000 (~$530 USD) for a year or until they find a job, along with other minor services like short messages of suggested jobs meeting their resumes.

6- Similar to above, those who get their services end due to reasons not caused by them; e.g. employer's bankruptcy instead of a disciplinary firing, get a percentage of their last salary for a year or until they find another job.

7- Low fuel prices.

8- Automotive used parts and non local dealer workshops cost way much less than what I heard of at least in USA.

The roads are so thoroughly destroyed, drivers are forced to maintain reasonable speeds. Others constantly bitch about it, but I consider it to be a good thing.

Hmm... if it is about the general way of life; rules and regulations of the law, here are some of them:

1- There are no taxes for individuals, or at least for someone like me who is of the vast majority. Taxes are enforced on business firms, and they are enforced to ensure receiving govt. services only. No penalties. The taxes are also based on the alms (a religious charity) which is only 2.5% annually of total owned not used money. I heard there are plans to put a tax on individuals owning unused lands for investment, but I'm not sure if it's on yet.

2- Local govt. sector universities/colleges provide a monthly allowance to who meets the requirements to join (not that difficult and requires normal efforts). It basically goes for the official period of the major then stops for extra semesters taken should one slack and repeat courses. About 15 years ago, it went for as long as one is still studying.

3- Health care for big and expensive, usually not affordable cases, is free once the case is confirmed and treatment necessary. My uncle had an open heart surgery and my father had a bed with medical attention for three days, for free.

4- Working hours in the fasting month of Ramadan are reduced. I for example get 6 hours a day instead of 8.

5- New graduates with no jobs are given a salary of SR 2,000 (~$530 USD) for a year or until they find a job, along with other minor services like short messages of suggested jobs meeting their resumes.

6- Similar to above, those who get their services end due to reasons not caused by them; e.g. employer's bankruptcy instead of a disciplinary firing, get a percentage of their last salary for a year or until they find another job.

7- Low fuel prices.

8- Automotive used parts and non local dealer workshops cost way much less than what I heard of at least in USA.
The monetary aspect is the least concern to me personally. I would be a lot more concerned with climate and environmental aspects of where I live.
Money always seems to take care of itself in my experience.
The crowds at 5he chicken stand you shred is plenty of reason for me to avoid being anywhere near it. Lol

The roads are so thoroughly destroyed, drivers are forced to maintain reasonable speeds. Others constantly bitch about it, but I consider it to be a good thing.

Same situation on one of the main roads in and out of my suburb. Lots of potholes and the road was very bad. The council/government sent out workers to patch the holes but it got to the point where all the road needed to be redone and that took 4-5 months just been. The road is a major one as a lot of tourists, trucks and cranes use it.

They actually made repairs, then resurfaced the entire road when those repairs proved insufficient?

Here is an example of what we deal with in the Ninth Ward of New Orleans. I used this road every day to get to school.

g2gmwdH.jpg

I once broke a bicycle frame on a pothole. It was so incredible, the only way I could react was to get up and start laughing.

An entire culture has developed around the potholes in the city. A common pastime here is pothole decoration. It is not uncommon to see Christmas trees, chairs, homemade signs, and other things shoved into particularly large ones. My personal favourite was a full-size model deer wearing sunglasses and Mardi Gras beads.

The situation is only going to get worse with time. The entire city is known to be rapidly subsiding as a result of artificial modifications to the water table. I have yet to see any proposals to modify this practice, which, given the long history of complete governmental uselessness (see the still-ongoing levee debacle,) is unlikely to change for quite some time.

Last edited:
So, when did the thread become about what's "bad" instead?

I didn't know roads in the West had it bad like that. I thought only third world countries like mine had those!

A beach with ~20C (70F)? I want that. Our (stinky) beaches here get that a couple of weeks a year only :(

Back
Top Bottom