What Country are You From?

i quite like golden delicious. i sell alot of them, a long with granny smith and braeburn. those are the main ones. granny smith are a bit sour for me

i quite like golden delicious. i sell alot of them, a long with granny smith and braeburn. those are the main ones. granny smith are a bit sour for me
Granny Smith's would be sour, they're cooking apples tee hee, we had a Granny Smith tree once, as regular as clockwork 50 to 80 lbs of apples every year, some huge, my late wife & I use to wrap each one loosely in newpaper in wooden trays & overwinter them in the garage, she was making apple pies & crumbles until about March the next year, Christina was an excellent cook & I can still smell her apple crumbles with fresh custard, not out of a tin!

Granny Smith's would be sour, they're cooking apples tee hee, we had a Granny Smith tree once, as regular as clockwork 50 to 80 lbs of apples every year, some huge, my late wife & I use to wrap each one loosely in newpaper in wooden trays & overwinter them in the garage, she was making apple pies & crumbles until about March the next year, Christina was an excellent cook & I can still smell her apple crumbles with fresh custard, not out of a tin!

huh . Granny smiths , i thought they where just normal apples , i quite like them anyway . lol

huh . Granny smiths , i thought they where just normal apples , i quite like them anyway . lol
An interesting thing about them, apparently in the 1800's there was an elderly Mrs Smith, who had a tree in the garden of her old cottage, & it's said that all the Granny Smiths trees in England came from that one tree, kids would grow pips in little pots, & the resulting foot-high saplings sold well at church fetes etc.

They are sour. Very good for apple pies though. The tangy taste goes well with the sweet syrupy inside. Then you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

I'm hungry.

They are sour. Very good for apple pies though. The tangy taste goes well with the sweet syrupy inside. Then you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, I'm hungry.
With the English, it's traditional to pour over warm custard or chilled double cream in the warm weather, also here, either a tiny touch of cinnamon or cloves in the cooked apple mix, crumble is very quick to make, much quicker than a pie, so get up of your backside, & into the kitchen now Al, peel & slice some apples into a pan, just cover with cold water, simmer til soft, turn out into a pyrex dish, rub some butter into flour, mixing with your hands until crumbly, spread over the cooked apple & bake.....oh go on then, a scoop of ice cream if you must!....yum yum, now your tummy's rumbling I'll bet.

Oh, you make it like that? Sounds good.

Too bad I don't have any granny smith apples. Are they even in season right now?

Back
Top Bottom