What a bloody good use of taxpayer money!

Ummm...
They've been funding cosmetic surgery on the nhs for a long time now.

But only in cases where they can define a medical reason. Eg after a mastectomy or if one breast is significantly larger than the other, deformed or there would be some other reason that the natural breasts were causing some kind of psychological harm. (and in that case surgery is cheaper than long term council long anyway)

As for this removal,
If you follow the news you'll have heard that the reason for the need for removal is the high rupture rate (eg the bags of silicone break) and when they do break rather than just releasing lovely medical grade specially made for the delicate insides of the body. They are releasing g industrial silicone, I guess the kind of stuff that would only usually be used for making bathroom sealant.

I think that the company that profiteered from these sub-standard materials making extra money slyly should be the ones paying for this. And going to jail, but that's really not going to happen.

Darkseeker, we pay for other stupid things also:

All them liver transplants from alcoholics..we pay
All them smokers as well.. transplants.. we pay

mad world we live in?

I think that the company that profiteered from these sub-standard materials making extra money slyly should be the ones paying for this. And going to jail, but that's really not going to happen.
To be honest, I don't see why it shouldn't happen. If you buy a car and it turns out to be faulty in a dangerous way, then it's recalled to be fixed at the companies expense. If you by a battery that has a fault and may explode, it's recalled and replaced at the company's expense. And if they find it was gross negligence that caused it to get to market in the first place, then those responsible will likely face criminal charges. Why the difference here? Is there something I'm missing?

Yes the companies that supplier the materials should pay but form what I heard they have gone out of business

indeed they have gone out of business...

but the point is for some companies, gone out of business means that the directors of the limited liability have now taken all the proceeds and retired to their villa somewhere on a nice private stretch of coast line... (I don't know if this is the case here.)

in cases like this, I believe that the limited nature of a limited company should be removed. and the directors of the company should be taken to the cleaners.

it'd only happen a few times before no directors thought that it was worth taking such short cuts. then the world would be a much better place :)

in cases like this, I believe that the limited nature of a limited company should be removed. and the directors of the company should be taken to the cleaners.

it'd only happen a few times before no directors thought that it was worth taking such short cuts. then the world would be a much better place

I thought that if it was a blatant case of deliberately manufacturing sub-standard goods then profiting off it then the directors could be held responsible - but as you point out it rarely ever happens (I've only seen it happen for repeat offenders really that go off and set up new companies after shutting down the existing one!) And I guess there's problems if they retire somewhere the UK has no jurisdiction over.

In an ideal world though yes, they should totally be held personally responsible!

These women are having issues NOW. It's not similar to cars because these women can't be provided rental boobs while a lawsuit is filed or anything. Especially if the company is out of business. And it's not just a simple fix like a car recall. It's thousands of dollars per person. Remember how much of a pain it was to get Ford/Firestone to admit fault in the case of the Explorer tires, because that was an expensive recall.

Back
Top Bottom