Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Golden Master

Default Western New York Storm

Well, I live in Buffalo, and I'm sure a lot of you heard about the storm we just had. This is from another thread I posted in
I'm in Buffalo, just got power back online this morning. I haven't had it since Thursday afternoon.

Quote:
It has easily been the most damaging storm Buffalo has ever seen. We got a foot of snow in one day, blowing away the previous record of 6 inches for October, and a total of about 2 feet. This wouldn't be so bad, except for the fact that all the leaves are still on the trees. So basically, the trees were destroyed because of all the extra surface area that snow was weighing down because of the leaves. The weirdest thing about it though, was that it was LIGHTNING while it was snowing. You don't see that every day.

The branches were all over the place. There was a driving ban for about 4 days because the roads were too dangerous. It's taking forever for the power to get back on for everyone because there's just way too many breaks in the lines.

I spent a good 2 days cleaning up branches in my yard. We lost a really, really beautiful willow tree and another pine tree, and a few other trees are dead because so many branches snapped off.

My mom had to call a tow truck, and the tow truck got stuck and had to call for another one. Another time I got stuck with my buddy and I had to literally push the car out of a ditch while he had it in reverse. None of the street lights work, and I think so far 3 people have died in accidents. Two more died from CO poisoning because they decided to run a generator indoors.

If we didn't have a generator, our basement would probably have had 6 inches of water in it. A lot of people I know didn't have heat or anything, so having a generator was god. My dad and I went out to buy a generator for my grandparents, and some ******* decided he'd buy 2 and sell the other to the people at the back of the line. He got punched in the nose.

On the bright side, some of my friends are making $500+ per day from cleaning up other people's yards, and we don't have school for the entire week.

Old 10-19-2006, 11:46 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Western New York Storm

Pictures of the damage in my backyard:

Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 PM   #3
Golden Master

More pics:

Old 10-20-2006, 12:33 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to cileskot

holy crap thats a bad storm. kinda nice for those kids getting 500 bucks a day lol. at least some good came out of it.
1.5gb Ram
19" Samsung LCD
cileskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:41 AM   #5
In Runtime

Here in Cali. we dont get snow. So those pictures, AS BAD AS IT MAY SEEM, look good to me in the snow.

Sorry about you backyard man...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
BSOD

its really weird how the trees got so damaged. i live in wisconsin so i defiantly no what its like to get multiple feet of snow, especially early like that. oh well you'll have that, duct tape the effer up.
EMMteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:28 AM   #7
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Man thats terrible.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to Omar Shamali Send a message via AIM to Omar Shamali Send a message via MSN to Omar Shamali Send a message via Yahoo to Omar Shamali

god help you,thats really terrible!!!!

so I will understand you as I can
Omar Shamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
In Runtime

Send a message via ICQ to Omar Shamali Send a message via AIM to Omar Shamali Send a message via MSN to Omar Shamali Send a message via Yahoo to Omar Shamali
Angry Re: Western New York Storm

but this is no thing which we have damges in palestine but its not from the storms its from the enemy "Israel"

so I will understand you as I can
Omar Shamali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to Trivium Nate

ddue your close!! I live in Liverpool!!! lol any ways I heard about this stuff form some frined son mine that are going to the university of buffalo this is weird yo! wheres liverpools snow?

Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote