Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #31
muz
Golden Master

Default Re: Well, I have 614 rep, but no seventh bar..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Yeah, but that is true though. I feel that the rep is a way better indicator of somebody's knowledge and computer worth then their post count
Dude i dont think it is tbh , i mean a new member could join who knows more than us yet he/she will have 0 rep
Tbh i think the rep system is more an indicator of someones popularity around here with people and i dont myself take the system seriously anymore cos it is kinda flawed ,

Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #32
In Runtime

The reputation system, I feel, is fatally flawed both by design and implementation.

People give each other reputation points for no tangible reason whatsoever, it is usually given out between friends as returned favours and arguments break out over it. It is both petty and a little bit sad to see arguments like that, similarly with post counts. Remember the old adage "quality over quantity"? Some here seem to be unable to recall this.

Those who brag about having more reputation than someone else, well, ask yourself this; is it deserved? Does it have any real world meaning? Are you really that successful and popular in real life? Are your posts complete and utter nonsense or are they meaningful and free of vitriol?

AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #33
Bogan

Send a message via MSN to Neodude112320

Man,I got 99 Points,i Cant literally touch that 2nd bar
Old 10-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #34
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
The reputation system, I feel, is fatally flawed both by design and implementation.

People give each other reputation points for no tangible reason whatsoever, it is usually given out between friends as returned favours and arguments break out over it. It is both petty and a little bit sad to see arguments like that, similarly with post counts. Remember the old adage "quality over quantity"? Some here seem to be unable to recall this.

Those who brag about having more reputation than someone else, well, ask yourself this; is it deserved? Does it have any real world meaning? Are you really that successful and popular in real life? Are your posts complete and utter nonsense or are they meaningful and free of vitriol?
Oh, they are utter nonsense and absolutely FILLED with vitriol.

Meh, I am predicting that out of the 614 rep I have, I have around 200/250 for computer stuff and the rest from the Social.
Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM   #35
Daemon Poster

imo rep means nothing
Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB PCI-E 16x
jo5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #36
Fully Optimized

The rep system is worthless. All that really seems to happen is rep goes around for social reasons to people's friends. It doesn't really have much of a purpose, it used to be that people got rep for helping people out with computer issues and stuff like that, now it's just a social status symbol.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #37
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
The rep system is worthless. All that really seems to happen is rep goes around for social reasons to people's friends. It doesn't really have much of a purpose, it used to be that people got rep for helping people out with computer issues and stuff like that, now it's just a social status symbol.
A social status symbol, this is an internet computer forum.....there is no social status in this.....

The next thing you will say is that the mods will be using this on the CV or resume, as a sign of management responsibility.....anyway...as I said in my previous post, the rep system has become completely null and void, in the same way I don't look at post count, I don't look at rep, it is plainly obivous to me whom to rely on for good and consistent advice around computers when I need it.

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:52 PM   #38
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to Š88

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasseyeUK View Post
A social status symbol, this is an internet computer forum.....there is no social status in this.....

The next thing you will say is that the mods will be using this on the CV or resume, as a sign of management responsibility.....anyway...as I said in my previous post, the rep system has become completely null and void, in the same way I don't look at post count, I don't look at rep, it is plainly obivous to me whom to rely on for good and consistent advice around computers when I need it.
Rightly put! You get to know who around here deserves respect by the consistent helpful advice they provide, not by the number of rep bars or by the amount of posts they've made.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lösung!
Š88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #39
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasseyeUK View Post

True. I still don't really see a need for rep. I think the idea and reasoning behind it was good but its become abused. At least we've finally hit the ceiling of how many bars there can be. Once people hit the max number of bars then rep won't matter because a lot of people will have the same amount, then again there will always be people who are new and don't have 6 bars of rep.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #40
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Well, I don't care at all if Dave wants to keep the system or lose it. I will be fine either way. There was a poll awhile ago, and you guys chose to keep it...

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote