Wearable computing?

strollin

Knowitall!
Am I the only one that isn't excited about wearable computing (like the Apple watch)? To me, it's just as easy to look at my phone as to look at my wrist (not to mention that I need to put my reading glasses on to see either) so I don't think I need an additional gadget and an additional layer of technology.

Who has one of the new watches and why do you feel it's useful?

the ONLY reason why I want one is one of the airlines I fly with for work, their app supports using the samsung Gear to display the code needed to scan my boarding pass so I could keep my phone in my pocket and music/movies playing. Otherwise, I have no interest.

As a regular wrist watch user, i find them pretty neat.
I ware a watch every day. Mostly as a fashion piece, but also it's nice to quickly see what time it is without having to pull out the phone. When my Skagen watch broke, i was looking for a new watch. This is were i decided to try out a smart watch.

I am not a fan of those square watches. It has to be a watch first then computer second.
The ONLY smart watches that i currently (more are coming) find interesting is the Moto360 and my LG G watch R.
I am not at all a fan of the apple watch. Looks more like a toy to me. And that goes against the first reason i ware a watch to begin with.

But why buy a watch that can only show time when you can buy a watch that can do so much more.
It's a fashion piece and an extension of your phone at the same time. People that i have shown it to are all amazed by it, so it's also a conversation piece (for the time being at least. Before it becomes normal to ware a smartwatch)

I find it to make life a little bit easier and i have to ware a watch anyway, So why not?
I don't regret for a second that i spend 290 USD on the watch. But if you aren't normally a wrist watch user, Stay away.

Last edited:
I already wear a watch so don't check my phone for the time. I wear my watch as a time piece, don't give a hoot about fashion.

Not sure what functions of a smartwatch would be beneficial to me. I mostly use my phone to make calls, navigation, play games and do quick internet lookups. I don't do much texting with my phone and almost never do email on my phone. What else do they do?

A few years back I took my watch in for the 2nd year in a row to be fixed because it quit working again. I asked the repair guy why my watches seem to quit after about a year. He said there was some people who's sweat kills watches and advised me to get a stainless steel watch. Stainless steel watches seem to last forever.

I suspect that if I got one of these new watches it would last only about 1 year (unless some of them come with stainless steel cases).

Last edited:
I love my casio watches. The ones I get cost about $20 and the one i'm using is on year 3 or 4 and on the SAME battery. This is the 2nd watch I've personally bought in about 6 years. My last watch ( same brand different model ) was equally as good, but it got stolen LOL. 4 years is damn good if you ask me. ( It has seen much abuse too ). I also have one fancy "fashionable " watch just for special occasions.

I wear my watch as a time piece, don't give a hoot about fashion.
Not sure what functions of a smartwatch would be beneficial to me. I mostly use my phone to make calls, navigation, play games and do quick internet lookups. I don't do much texting with my phone and almost never do email on my phone. What else do they do?

Then smart watches might not be for you my friend.
They are definitely not for everyone.
I like when i have to make a quick reminder and can just talk to the watch.
Or if i get an email (which i do a lot) i can quickly see if it's something i want to take care of now or later. Same goes with SMS and facebook.
And if someone calls me doing a conversation at work, i can quickly see if it's a guy from work that's calling or someone else that i can call back later at a better time.
I find it making the use of a smartphone a little easier, while still being a wrist watch. Just me 2 cent

Last edited:
NikonGuy.
So you are a watch wearer. So you understand that watches are kinda like a necklace. Not top useful, but is more like a jewelry or fashion piece. But if that jewelry could convert US dollars to Euros, wouldn't that be impressive?
that's exactly what i demonstrate when people ask me about my watch.
Here is a spoiler, they are always impressed.

I don't wear a watch too often. Mostly when flying as a back up time piece or when on the road. I like both functionality and good looks. I either wear digital or electric tuning fork type watches.
I would pay real money to have one I could program voice reminds to take my morning pills. ( The night one I don't have a problem with.) Something like: " Yo, Dumbass, Don't forget to take your pills this morning. " I would gladly pay good money for that...

Good one. :lol:
I can see the cool in that. You can properly make you phone send a notification to your watch with that text, but it's not the same.

Back
Top Bottom