Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-30-2008, 05:40 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to 88
Default We are going to die in May...

...us and maybe the entire universe too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/29/sc...prod=permalink

It's either May (according to this article) or 2012 (as the Mayans have predicted)...or maybe 2030 by an asteroid impact. We'll see.

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: We are going to die in May...

Interesting read.

Reminds me of the age old "Man destroys itself" routine.

I AM LEGEND, where they think they have the cure for cancer, and it destroys the world.

Final Fantasy 7, where the Shinra company thinks they can feed off the planet for energy endlessly and then screws them over.

And this, if we used this mighty new machine to power the entire planet. And then the universe disappears ^_^

Very goofy comparisons, but you get the point.

Wassup breh.

David Lindon: "Faggot"
ghostFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

Ok, that article made me laugh. I'm sorry, but that idea is outrageous. Sure, it may be possible that the thing explode and rip a new hole in the universe, but the chances of that happening are so small, it wouldn't even affect us. Not to mention, in that article it mentioned somewhere that a black hole could evaporate before it caused any damage (thank you Stephen Hawking).

Now, I do know one thing: large particle accelerators could potentially make something called "dark matter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter) which can, theoretically, be used to modify time. It is said if you could measure dark matter with generic measurements (tablespoon, teaspoon, etc..) a tablespoon of it could destroy the world, but the same amount could also grant the ability to travel faster than the speed of light to a large space vehicle. I watched a documentary about it on the History Channel once. I don't remember the name, but if I find it, I will post a link.

EDIT- I just remembered, dark matter and dark energy is talked about in "The Universe" series on the History Channel.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
Ok, that article made me laugh. I'm sorry, but that idea is outrageous. Sure, it may be possible that the thing explode and rip a new hole in the universe, but the chances of that happening are so small, it wouldn't even affect us. Not to mention, in that article it mentioned somewhere that a black hole could evaporate before it caused any damage (thank you Stephen Hawking).

Now, I do know one thing: large particle accelerators could potentially make something called "dark matter" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Matter) which can, theoretically, be used to modify time. It is said if you could measure dark matter with generic measurements (tablespoon, teaspoon, etc..) a tablespoon of it could destroy the world, but the same amount could also grant the ability to travel faster than the speed of light to a large space vehicle. I watched a documentary about it on the History Channel once. I don't remember the name, but if I find it, I will post a link.
Nothing can travel faster than light...... last time I checked...

David Lindon: "Faggot"
ghostFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Wierd, but I dont think its going to happen... It's one of those goofy worrys I think. Like back in the day, we used to think our skin would peal off if we traveled over 40mph...
Old 03-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to blackjack

Hmmm, I guess that gives me a good reason to get sloshed for the next 4-6 weeks then
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Good, then I don't have to take my AP exams. .
I'd really prefer graduating from high school before I die though.

And if this is true, now is as good a time as ever to splurge on a new rig.

Honestly though, I'm keeping my distance from the NYT, with all the Obama/Clinton crap that's going on over there.
| AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core Processor | ASUS A8N-e nF4 Ultra | Hitachi Deskstar 250gb 3.0 gb/s | 1gb Corsair Value RAM 2x512 | eVGA geforce 6800GS | sound blaster live! 24-bit | NZXT Trinity Classic chassis | OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI PSU |
I was there. In the networking forum for the first time, and it was because.. of 341
kchi55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #8
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to Kage

Its interesting to say the least.
The fact it will cause something to happen not seen since the Big Bang will be something quite dangerous, and could result in something we don't know of.

Though it does say later on in the article, that he filed suits previously, to just have them denyed, and the machine he was against has been working since 2000 with no problems.

I can't imagine, Spiderman style, (though that was a sun), a black hole getting larger though, and being unable to stop, suddenly, in the middle of the room.

If one was created though, even a pin sized dot would be strong enough to suck all the people in that room into it, and it wouldn't be pretty.

EDIT:

"Scientists say that is very unlikely though they have done some checking just to make sure."

I feel safe after reading that...
Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Were are own worst enemy. This world is going to end at the hand of people experimenting with things like this. Sure they have a bunch of scientists speculating to what the end result may be. How on earth can they have any idea what will happen?

Typical though we invent the nuclear bomb which can destroy the world as we know it. Lets build some more stuff that could potentially destroy the universe. At some point they will succeed and whoever is still alive at the time will die.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to D-Lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostFL View Post
Nothing can travel faster than light...... last time I checked...

Particles can travel faster than light through water... so I don't see why it would be foolish to say the same about a vacuum. You never know man.

D-Lew is offline   Reply With Quote