Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to sherwood Send a message via MSN to sherwood
Default Warez site's - are they illegal?

This is one thing I have always wondered are warez site's illegal? I have always thought they are not as they do not normally store files on there servers but I have always never fully believed it so I was wondering is it 100% legal or illegal?

my rig: Foxconn M7VMX Series|Intel Core 2 Duo E7200GHz|2.00GB of RAM|500GB Western Digital SATA HDD|500GB Hitachi SATA|500GB Maxtor External|Nvidia GeForce 8 Serise 512MB.|400W power supply.|Windows Vista Ultimate|19" HD Monitor
sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to tom-knox
Default Re: Warez site's - are they illegal?

It's definitely a grey area, I don't think the warez site itself is liable for any prosecution because there just another form of p2p really. But I think there use may be illegal if its for the downloading of Music, software, videos etc without paying from them, although that may vary on your national legislation.

I'm now arguing with myself in my head, this thread has encouraged casual schizophrenia. Darn.

New player: iPhone 4 32gb
tom-knox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
In Runtime

I know what you mean. I have been trying to find this out for a while now! And can't seem to find one. As I do not see how the site can be illegal as they just index the links and not actually have files on there servers. Well that depends on what warez sites you go on.

Does anyone know if there is an actual real law saying that they are not allowed or are??
my rig: Foxconn M7VMX Series|Intel Core 2 Duo E7200GHz|2.00GB of RAM|500GB Western Digital SATA HDD|500GB Hitachi SATA|500GB Maxtor External|Nvidia GeForce 8 Serise 512MB.|400W power supply.|Windows Vista Ultimate|19" HD Monitor
Old 09-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
j03
~~~~~~~~

Send a message via MSN to j03

Depends on the country. Some countrys, it's legal to: Link to a page which has a link to a file (which is on a different server)

Some countrys you can link directly to a file, which is on a different server

SOME (not many...) you can link to a file on your own server

And there are some that down allow any kind of warez at all...

I think
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

The site itself is perfectly legal, p2p is perfectly legal, it's the material that is illegal. Distributing copyrighted material is the part that is illegal. That's what most people use p2p for, downloading and sharing material that is copyrighted like music and movies so thats why people think that p2p is illegal. It's not, it's the material that makes it illegal.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I don't think its illegal in canada but in the states i think it is can someone verify this though
Old 09-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
The site itself is perfectly legal, p2p is perfectly legal, it's the material that is illegal. Distributing copyrighted material is the part that is illegal. That's what most people use p2p for, downloading and sharing material that is copyrighted like music and movies so thats why people think that p2p is illegal. It's not, it's the material that makes it illegal.
So could the owner of the site get prosecuted for the content on the site or would they not be able to do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee286 View Post
I don't think its illegal in canada but in the states i think it is can someone verify this though
And yes I think I have heard that the US do not allow warez sites. But I have heard that people who live in the US owns servers in a different country so they can still run the site.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:41 AM   #8
j03
~~~~~~~~

Hmm... I dont think it is legal in canada. I have some shared space on a canadian server, and somone hosted a warez site on it - It got removed... Allthough it might not have been removed because of the warez...
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
In Runtime

Or it could of just been that hosting service did not want those kinds of sites hosted on their servers. As I have also heard that it is hard to find a hosting company who will be willing to host the warez sites.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
j03
~~~~~~~~

Heh, It was the person that owned the server that was hosting it