Wanting Advice On Purchasing Laptop

hal0mega

Beta member
Hey folks,

I'm into sound mixing and video editing... I purchased an ACER laptop, a 1.60 Duo core with 504 of ram and got it upgraded to 1gig of ram (surprisingly, this ram doesnt show on my my computer properties, which has me wondering the authenticity of that - it shows as 504) - so back on track - I'm looking to spend no more then 2200 australian dollars (in australia obviously) on a laptop that can handle my video editing programs in a way where there is never any slowing down like my current laptop... it seems to drag along when I reach the point of having dozens of transitions and effects applied to my projects, and mixing and making music is limited in tracks before it drags along with various errors.

Essentially I feel its the ram, but my knowledge in computers is naive i fear. Can anyone suggest the good brands to go after for their value and lasting quality... ?

What I know I'm looking at getting anywhere from a 3gig of ram up for it... at least a 160gig hardrive (the more the better too) and at least 3 usb ports. I need it to be a duo (dual or duo core? what's the difference.. are there 2 like this?) core 2.4 at least.

Any suggestions are greatly apprecitated
thanks,
:)

there are the big players of course.

Dell, HP, Acear, Alienware if u wanna pony up the money

there is a nother compony, www.ibuypower.com

its were i bought mine from there, there not the best built, but they do have great prices

HIMO:

Mac.

*hides*..

I know..I know...most of us being pc'ers..don't eat me...

Macs are well built for audio/movies..and most major studios use macs.

I'd browse around on those for awhile and find one..

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...p_mac/family/macbook_pro&sf=wHF2F2PHCCCX72KDY

Trust me... macs the way to go for video/audio...but..uh.. thats about it..

*hides*

at least the best audio/movie editing software is mac supported.

*cringes* *ducks under the desk*

i was thinking of a mac actually, and stuff the fools in here lol gosh im not after gaming or anything else.. just video and audio - :) thanks, umm do u know if adobe premiere pro the video editor is supported on mac? i have a copied disk and wonder if that'll install, that's my only concern, i dont want to purchase or download another editor...
thanks again

uh. I'm not sure, you'll have to look at adobe and see if it is mac supported...far I as I know its only PC.

I could be wrong, Im not big on adobe.

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't macs have a factory video/audio editor?

uh. I'm not sure, you'll have to look at adobe and see if it is mac supported...far I as I know its only PC.

I could be wrong, Im not big on adobe.

Someone Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't macs have a factory video/audio editor?

Most, if not all Adobe software is supported on the Mac.

Can anyone suggest the good brands to go after for their value and lasting quality... ?

Here's the thing, are you willing to take the plunge to Mac OS 10?

If you're just looking for another computer to run Windows, I would recommend the Dell XPS 1530, Lenovo Thinkpad T61p, or HP Compaq 8510p.

A desktop is so much better for video editing. You can upgrade it a lot more. Faster HDDs, cheaper RAM, bigger screen. Unless you have a real reason to get a laptop other than just to "Be cool since you have a laptop" then get a desktop. You can just get more power out of them.

I use mine for video editing. It works great. However, with any system you will have slow downs by putting a bunch of effects on at any one place. Even just one extensive effect can slow down playback time. The only way to get around it is to render the area you want to play and then play it back that way to see if it looks alright.

A desktop is so much better for video editing. You can upgrade it a lot more. Faster HDDs, cheaper RAM, bigger screen. Unless you have a real reason to get a laptop other than just to "Be cool since you have a laptop" then get a desktop. You can just get more power out of them.

I use mine for video editing. It works great. However, with any system you will have slow downs by putting a bunch of effects on at any one place. Even just one extensive effect can slow down playback time. The only way to get around it is to render the area you want to play and then play it back that way to see if it looks alright.

Yeah I need it to be a laptop for the portability. Adobe too folks I like because of it's range of effects i've come to love. Otherwise that's good that macs support adobe then i guess, all that matters now is about getting a mac for a good price.

all that matters now is about getting a mac for a good price.

Ha...right... Get a PC notebook. They cost less for price/performance ratio and still can use Adobe products. Macs cost more than they are worth. Now if you low price is like $2000 then an ok one can be had that can handle what you want to do. But a $1000 PC notebook will probably be similar in specs and obviously cheaper. I do like Apple products, they just aren't cost efficient enough for me. I bought my iBook used for $450. That was what would be considered a good deal...and it's kinda high for the specs. I like my iBook, but probably won't be buying another Apple computer just because of the cost.

Back
Top Bottom