I made a post in Random Chitchat, and a few members contacted me - But I don't think that it was the ideal place to post!
I'm playing around with the idea of selling VPN accounts, and I could do with some people to beta test the service for me. I have a server in the US if you would like a US I.P., and I'm getting a UK server this evening for those of you who want a UK IP.
A UK IP will make other servers think that you are located in the UK, allowing you to access UK Only websites. Same thing for the US Server.
If you're interested, just post here (including the server location you'd like). Once you've tried the VPN out, it would be good if you could tell me the following:
- Results from http://speedtest.net/ WITHOUT my VPN
- Results from http://speedtest.net/ WITH VPN
- Your Operating System (including architecture (i.e. 32bit or 64bit) and version (i.e. Ubuntu 10.04, Fedora 13, Windows 7)
- If you where in the market for such a service, the amount you would be willing to pay per month.
Once you've posted in this thread saying you're interested, I will send you a link to a ZIP file containing the configuration files you'll need, and a temporary password.
Once you've received the file, you will need to do the following (under windows):
- Download & install the OpenVPN Client from http://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html
- Extract the zip file to: "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config".
- Run OpenVPN GUI as an Administrator
- Right click on the tray icon, and press "Connect".
- Enter your password (which I have supplied), and press OK
- Cross your fingers
Things might be a bit... "rough around the edges" to begin with, but it should all be fine in the end!
For those of you who don't mind having a UK IP address, I'm trying out a new set up which should greatly increase the download speed compared to the other service... Just post here if you're interested!
The above method can now be used for US IP's too.