Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117
Default Voip

What do you think of VOIP. I think its brillant. I love ventirollo. I believe some day the phone will be absoulet. I mean even my grandma usings vent. I host my own private server every once in a while and my entire faimly has a sit down chat. I have feeling 2 or 3 years VOIP will be really big. I mean its so much easier to say Hey how ya doing. Then typing Wuz Up or somthing along those lines. What do you think of VOIP.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #2
BSOD

Send a message via AIM to BobTheLOL
Default Re: Voip

give me your server!!

Old 08-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #3
Baseband Member

VOIP really is awesome. I work for a telecom company that is getting into the VOIP side of things, and theyre making a killing. No Long Distance charges are nice, but VOIP will be even better when the get the 911 situation worked out. Not every city supports VOIP 911 yet.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Nik00117 Send a message via MSN to Nik00117 Send a message via Yahoo to Nik00117

My server? if you go to i believe www.ventirollo.com you can dl the server hoster. And host your own server.Can hold up to 8 poeple.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to Kalgatha Send a message via Yahoo to Kalgatha

hehe...this is one of those things im left outta the loop...what does VOIP stand for?? is it kinda like TeamSpeak?
Old 08-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #6
Golden Master

Voice over IP. It's your phone system on crack. Basically, an IP address is assigned to your phone like a network node or computer. It also has a built in switch if you get the Cisco phones. You can bring your laptop from home and plug it in to the phone and get network or Internet access with it. So cool.

VoIP allow a private telephone network to exist instead of using existing telephone lines from phone companies (paying all that money). Now you don't. It's like a private LAN with computers but with phones.

Network admin can also track every single call in and out at what time of day. Every bit of detail can be recorded through software config.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:24 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Well I didn't mean in thhe way TRDcorolla said it. VOIP to me is ANY program that you can use on your computer to talk to a different person on a different computer though a mic. And yea normally every few weeks I'll just open up my vent server (not running 24/7) and my folks and my faimly have a sit down. I also used it before for CS:CZ clan matches.Seeing as how I can host 8 and only need 5. Can be free or may cost you. Depends. ventis free up to 8 popeple. Then you need to rent a server.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to draconum Send a message via MSN to draconum

Yeah VOIP is pretty cool but for soem reason no phone company will support it in my city, Which sucks alot :P

Chris
Video Card: XFX GeForce 6200 -------------- RAM: OCZ Value ram Dual Channel 256 x2
Old 08-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #9
Golden Master

Well, what I said above was VoIP in a nutshell and in a fun to read way. Here's a more serious approach to back up what I was saying:

VoIP (voice over IP - that is, voice delivered using the Internet Protocol) is a term used in IP telephony for a set of facilities for managing the delivery of voice information using the Internet Protocol (IP).

In general, this means sending voice information in digital form in discrete packets (just like the internet-use same protocol TCP/IP, etc.) rather than in the traditional circuit-committed protocols of the public switched telephone network (PSTN). A major advantage of VoIP and Internet telephony is that it avoids the tolls charged by ordinary telephone service.

VoIP, now used somewhat generally, derives from the VoIP Forum, an effort by major equipment providers, including Cisco, VocalTec, 3Com, and Netspeak to promote the use of ITU-T H.323, the standard for sending voice (audio) and video using IP on the public Internet and within an intranet. The Forum also promotes the user of directory service standards so that users can locate other users and the use of touch-tone signals for automatic call distribution and voice mail.

In addition to IP, VoIP uses the real-time protocol (RTP) to help ensure that packets get delivered in a timely way. Using public networks, it is currently difficult to guarantee Quality of Service (QoS). Better service is possible with private networks managed by an enterprise or by an Internet telephony service provider (ITSP).

A technique used by at least one equipment manufacturer, Adir Technologies (formerly Netspeak), to help ensure faster packet delivery is to use ping to contact all possible network gateway computers that have access to the public network and choose the fastest path before establishing a Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) sockets connection with the other end.

Using VoIP, an enterprise positions a "VoIP device" at a gateway. The gateway receives packetized voice transmissions from users within the company and then routes them to other parts of its intranet (local area or wide area network) or, using a T-carrier system or E-carrier interface, sends them over the public switched telephone network.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by draconum
Yeah VOIP is pretty cool but for soem reason no phone company will support it in my city, Which sucks alot :P

Chris
I think VoIP is a private setup you use in your own building, a LAN. You can even extened it to a WAN through a T-carrier system by going through the phone company (that's when they'll charge you for long distance rates or whatever regulatory fees you have to pay). To them, they are just providing you service for your T-line, that's it. THey shouldn't have to know that you have a VoIP setup because it is independent from the phone company. It's kind of like breaking down your broadband connection to multpile PCs at home. Surely, you're not going to tell your ISP that you plan on connecting 4 PCs to share the internet when you are only paying for one. In a LAN, everything is private.

The phones are routed through Gateways, switches, like the PCs.