Vista available in UK

GlasseyeUK said:
Many companies have sold OEM versions, the loophole that they use is that you can sell it with a piece of hardware, for example hard drive etc, however they often overlook that when you actually purchase it.

I remember buying MCE OEM and I had to buy the remote control pack with it, that qualified as a piece of hardware.

Yeah my distributer gives you a shiny new case fan with OEM windows purchases.

DJ-CHRIS said:
Yeah my distributer gives you a shiny new case fan with OEM windows purchases.
most places i have seen xp oem sold give away a free mouse or with mce free remote pack

Natalya said:
OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) versions can not be sold without being pre installed on a new machine.

It is written in the EULA (End User Licence Agreement). If you order those copies, you will have purchased those copies in breach of the licence agreement. And if you install it.... meh.....

OEM software also can not be transferred from one computer to another.

The only copies of software from Microsoft that can be sold WITHOUT being pre installed on a machine are RETAIL (FPP Fully Packaged Products). They cost more because you can transfer them from one machine to another. And this is also written in the EULA.

Umm..sure..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116215

LOL, well you dont have to believe me, i only work for the company and have to know the licencing inside out.... Read your EULA. OEM software can not be sold without a new PC and to all those companies that are doing it, even if it is a huge corporation, are selling the OEM software incorecctly to you all.

Natalya said:
LOL, well you dont have to believe me, i only work for the company and have to know the licencing inside out.... Read your EULA. OEM software can not be sold without a new PC and to all those companies that are doing it, even if it is a huge corporation, are selling the OEM software incorecctly to you all.
That's true. We're aware of this. Our Daewoo PC was having a 98 disc say "For distribution with a new PC only."

Natalya said:
OEM is not allowed to be sold to the public like that. STUPID RESELLERS WHO DONT DO THEIR JOB PROPERLLY CAUSE ALL THIS CRAP.

What MS is saying is, Buy a new computer and we will give you the software at a discounted price PRE INSTALLED aka OEM, OR, Buy the software on its own but pay a little more.
I find it completely unjustifiable that I would have to pay more just because I happen to like building my own computers.. MS tries to justify this by calling the OEM version a "discounted" copy.. my ass. they just want to get more money from people who don't rely on brand PCs.

which is exactly why I willl probably stick to linux and XP, and the eventual cracked copy of vista.

When I bought my copy of XP, it was OEM from a local shop. They would only let me buy it with new hardware... which in this case was a laser mouse.

Of coarse, others say this is bad bad bad... ok.. so I should go buy the 'upgrade' version of windows they say... uh huh.. whats this? I need a 98se or ME cd that I happen to NOT own whatsoever? Nice, Microsoft, real nice. Ever wonder why some people despise you? Didn't think so.

(i'm not directing that last paragraph to you natalya, sorry if it seems that way heh)

MikeReiner said:
Of coarse, others say this is bad bad bad... ok.. so I should go buy the 'upgrade' version of windows they say... uh huh.. whats this? I need a 98se or ME cd that I happen to NOT own whatsoever? Nice, Microsoft, real nice. Ever wonder why some people despise you? Didn't think so.
Im confused by this, you can upgrade XP to vista

Back
Top Bottom