Virgin launches 50mbps UK web speeds!

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
It looks as if the internet service provider Virgin Media is about to launch its super fast broadband service that has the potential to offer connection speeds of up to 50 Mbps.

First off, we have seen the launch of the modem that the company will be providing their customers with and now it seems through the grapevine that there is an announcement about to be made on the 15th December.

Could this be the official launch of Virgin Media 50 Mbps?

They have already conducted trials in Kent, so as it stands everything is pointing in that direction, it is just up to Virgin Media to confirm this date as being the launch day.
Source:TechWatch

What do we think, is their any reason why you'd want such a thing and bearing in mind Virgin will probably still throttle you is it worth £50 a month?

Well, they've already upgraded the 4mb service to 10mb, and thats working well

50Mbps i dunno bout payin £50 for that coz lets face it majority of things you use it for you wont get your full 50mb.

torrents will still be maxxed at like 600kb downloads from the net will still probably only hit 2000kb and lets face it wot do u actually download from the web thats big enough to hit 2000kb.

50Mbps i dunno bout payin £50 for that coz lets face it majority of things you use it for you wont get your full 50mb.

torrents will still be maxxed at like 600kb downloads from the net will still probably only hit 2000kb and lets face it wot do u actually download from the web thats big enough to hit 2000kb.

That's exactly what i'm thinking.

in all honesty i am really happy with my 8 or 7.5Mb as it is broadband for £18

ADSL2+ is about right at the moment fibre optic is for the future and someone had to start it so well done virgin.

does it mention anything about upload speeds? could be handy for my home webserver

They need to have that crap here, my 6mbps (750kb/s) internet is great but 50mbps (a whopping 6.25mb/s)?? That would be even more great!

I've not looked into it fully, don't know how public the release is. Have a look around if you can and hit us back. That'd be interesting.

cant find anything about upload speeds but i did find this.

Cable operator Virgin Media claims its new super-fast 50Mb broadband service will enable consumers to download films in just over three minutes and TV shows in just 60 seconds - although the service will cost as much as £51 a month for new subscribers.

Virgin Media said that the new service, unveiled today, would include a premium launch offer that includes unlimited downloads and no "traffic management", which caps usage and download speed at peak times

I'd say no, its not going to make browsing pages any quicker and for the odd download, I don't mind just leaving it running anyway

Back
Top Bottom