Vinyl vs. MP3/Digital

toole13

In Runtime
Today my friends and I were debating about which has an overall better sound quality: original vinyl records or the iTunes enhanced MP3s. Consider the vinyl record to be brand new, no scratches or anything to distort the original sound. Consider the MP3 to also be void of any digital wrongs, making the sound as clear as possible. Both are played through the same speakers. Which actually has a better quality of sound?

P.S.- I say the digital MP3s. The rest of my friends say the vinyl.

If it's an 'exact' digital copy.. honestly I would think they sound the same.

My dad has a turn table and some good vinyls still, an original "Led Zeppelin IV" absolutely no defects on it. Sounds the same as MP3s imo.

They do sound the same, but, I do prefer vinyl over the new digital standards.

I guess I just prefer the analogue feeling, that its all being processed in its original form, over the 000111's of digital. It kind of feels lifeless...

Hmm I've always considered records to be bought as collector's item now and then when they actually listen to the music, it's audio CD or MP3 to protect the vinyls which is usually sentimental value unless it's rare of course. I would go with MP3, there's all sorts of variables with record players and I've never had a problem listening to music on a PC, I never noticed much of a difference in sound though.

vinyl every time, if you have a decent turntable and a decent set of needles and a decent PA system preferably, a set of 1210's with some concordes and a Pioneer sound system then vinyl will destroy any modern mp3 you can play,

vinyl just has a better feel the bass is alot clearer and im sure when DJ CHRIS sees this then he "should" back me up

Vinyl is considered to sound better by many, it has the warm analogue sound that is very hard to produce on digital equipment.

Yeah, it's kind of like what is better, transistors or tubes. Tubes any day over transistors.

I will always have respect for vinyls as I do still have some "at the time" original records like Michael Jackson's Thriller, Led Zeppelin IV, Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life...but when it really comes down to it, I have to say I prefer the mp3. I do still at times listen to the records I own, but they aren't as "sturdy" if you will, as mp3s are. It's too easy to damage them no matter how well you take care of them, there's still too much of a worry they can be "played out" or ruined. So when it's a calm wine, or bacardi select kind of night with the wife...the records come out. Otherwise, my PC will do just fine.

I just listened to my dad's turn table a bit. I don't know that it's that great of one, but it does sound nice.
Still, I don't see any real difference. I could listen to a CD or mp3s and be fine with it.

Vinyls off the top of my head.

Hmm.. Led Zeppelin IV of coarse, Styx - The Grand Illusion, E.L.O. (forgot the album)

My dad has maybe 80 Vinyls. I should look through them some day.

Back
Top Bottom