Video game forums are dying...

Scissorman

In Runtime
I know hundreds of them exist, but most of them just have a generic feel about the posts. They're defintely way too niche nowadays. In fact, reading some posts from people on a few of these sites, you have to question if they are true fans of anything at all.

I got banned from NeoGAF yesterday, for good. The members there were being so arrogant anyway, but I probably should have left sooner instead of giving them the satisfaction. They temporarily banned me twice before that because some arsehole kept provoking me. I'm also not able to run a YouTube channel because I don't have fancy video editing skills like the people that run the big channels with more affiliates, and to be honest, I don't have a very clear accent, being Scottish. No one cares about my views on Resident Evil. It's obvious, and when I'm back with a new account, all trolls do is subscribe with private accounts and vote down the videos.

The relatively few actual Resident Evil forums I go on are virtually dead. As a matter of fact, I now post on one solitary site about the series. That's because I got too much hassle from all the others, but most of them just closed down or became a boneyard over the years. There's nothing to debate anymore. Nothing whatsoever. Plus, those type of forums are full of fanboy types anyway, and they don't seem to be feeling the pinch with the decline in quality of these games, as much as I am.

I'm still active on two Silent Hill forums, and that series has been dead since 2015. They should think of cutting the rope at this point. It's the same situation: Members seldom post, and I've been trying to keep everything looking busy, but it's pointless. I'm posting, but no one else is doing a thing. I might as well say it was the year 2012 that the franchise died in, but P.T. debuted its trailer in 2014, I think. I'm not sure. That game was sadly cancelled anyway. Since then, most fans have just been crying their eyes out about Konami.

It's a sad time for gaming forums. I don't know what happened. Back in 2004 or so, these kind of communities always had activity. Always! I'll be glad when this year is over, because in general, this decade sucked so much. And I'm certainly not joining any more forums. I broke that promise a few days ago, and joined a site called Joyfreak, but then I discovered that it's dead too.

:hide:

Have been able to find older games there as well. I have a couple of games from the 1995 days. Windows 95 was really slow but you could play them on windows 7 yet. Vista and windows 8.1 and windows 10 will not play as there is no drivers anymore for those games. I have some newer versions of the same games i found there. Lots of newer games there so maybe you will have some luck.

I'm afriad that on every forum there are "keyboard warriors" that just want to provoke an argument. I too get very annoyed sometimes and retaliate but, bottom line, it just aint worth it.

Some people at other forums I go on, are also overly rude as well. I mean, I just had one guy saying to me that he 'knew' I was going to have an aneurysm, because Capcom said that the Resident Evil 2 remake is now what they consider to be canonical. As in, it is officially a part of the overall timeline. They cannot be true fans if they think that way, to be honest. :rolleyes:

But this is what I mean. They don't care - at all. If Capcom made a bloody tennis game about Resident Evil, they'd still buy that too. What a bunch of sissies to continue to support and blatantly defend a company that clearly doesn't know what the hell it's doing anymore. But, yeah. I suppose they do know what they're doing to some extent, but it's crazy, and I can see through their BS.

It actually feels like I've been wasting my time contributing to all these Resident Evil websites over the last 16 years, which is also why I want to gracefully retire at the end of the year. That is ironic in a kind of funny way too, because "Grace Saunders" is a name I have mainly used throughout my time on survival horror related websites.

Not only are the forums almost void of activity these days, but the users are pretty inept about everything they're discussing. All they've basically done is make a horse's ass out of me and sometimes other members, that spoke the truth about the state of a franchise they grew up loving. In my eyes, I can see that games are on the verge of dying as a whole, because all these companies do is just milk the crap out of them, or drain the life source from a series until that well runs dry. This is precisely why Capcom are doing remakes, and also the movie industry. They're not interested in the old school audience any longer, despite what they say. They will still continue to do bland, modern day versions that are just inferior in every single way, because they believe that's what the Call of Duty and Fortnite crowd wants. :ermm:

I mean, I've been playing these games since like 1999 or something, and I have one of the biggest horror DVD collections out there. So surely I ought to know if there has been a decline in how great these games and films actually are. You would think so, at least. It's like what Hollywood is doing too, and the music industry. It's just about making that top dollar, and nothing else. Yet some people like that regardless.

Someone please smack my face. :facepalm:

Last edited:
I'm afriad that on every forum there are "keyboard warriors" that just want to provoke an argument. I too get very annoyed sometimes and retaliate but, bottom line, it just aint worth it.
stop ignoring me dammit!

more seriously, newer/better forums came along.

look at this place, it used to move so fast a thread could be pushed 2 pages deep in a couple of hours, loads of members could be online at the same time chatting.
But it's just a few friends left now just chatting...
people come in, nice people stay, people go out etc...

If you want fast paced action you need to go to places like redit.

if I'm honest I kind of prefer it like this, not chasing down spammers, trying to fix arguments etc...

They cannot be true fans if they think that way, to be honest. :rolleyes:
an actual scot using the no true scotsman fallacy.

I don't understand why you are staying on those forums if you think it is a waste of your time.

Back
Top Bottom