In a video game, do you win it, or do you beat it?

i want a laptop

In Runtime
My friend says "I haven't won GTA4 yet" (well he has, but that isn't the point) he never says "I haven't beat (or beaten) that game yet" He always says "won" or "win" I am telling him, no, it is beat/beaten. You can't "win" a video game, to win it you need to be competing with other people (like you "win" a game in a contest, where you're competing) but you beat a video game because it is a task and you defeat it, or accomplish it, or get past it. You can't "win" it because you playing against anyone. (We are talking about single player here)

Can you settle our arguement? When playing a single player game, do you win it or do you beat it?

It's like a basketball game. You win the game, but do you win the other team? Or do you beat the other team. Think of the game as the other team.

everybody has their own way of talking.
Just learn to accept it.

But there is proper english, and english that makes you sound stupid. I don't have a problem with slang, but when people say things that don't really make sense it bugs me. Like ain't, or bro, dude, things like that don't bother me, unless you use them massive amounts, lol.

I beat the game dude... Like Every game dude...:D:D But I ain't done playin it yet bro....:D

@ OP notice I used the word BEAT dude? :D

i remeber back when i played pokemon, i would "kill" the other poke's rather then defeat them :)

i use beat, not win

In most games you would say you "beat" the game. But when it comes to sports games and the like, you could say you "won".

Back
Top Bottom