Very Discruntled ... Please Help!

waldorfpc

In Runtime
First of all, I want to say hi to all of you before I go on with my concern. I'm so sorry I've been awayfor ages. It is just that business has been crazy, and I've not had time to breathe. I hope that all of you are doing well. Here is my issue. Thanks so much in advance to any of you that can help. I'll give rep points to those that do.

I'm severely pissed off at my wholeseller. I needed a particular laptop with specific spects that my customer was asking for. My wholeseller told me that he has a laptop with these spects, however, it is a Vista PC. My customer does not want Vista, and I've made tht very clear dozens of times. So, here is what's going on.

The rep that I've been dealing with says that the system is one that can be downgraded from Vista to XP without having an operating system disk. Now, I've never heard of this in my life, and neither has my senior technician, who is a retired technician from the military. My wholeseller rep swears up and down that many of his customers have been able to downgrade without any additional charge for the operating system or without needing a disk to do this. I'm also familiar with the downgradable rights that Microsoft gives to those who have Vista Ultimate or Vista Business, but nothing is said about any system being downgraded free of charge and without the operating system disk. Either I'm totally missing something, or the rep is sadly mistaken because in all the years I've been working with computers, I've never herd of such a thing. Can anyone please advise?

It's possible if the manufacturer includes an XP image on the harddrive, but I as well, have never heard of this.

Yeah, i'm on the phone with my wholeseller talking to him right now to see if there is an image on the hard drive. It is an HP brand, so I now have to call the manufacturer to checkon this, as he does not know. He is just a sales rep. Unfortunately, he does not know about all of the technical details. What a hassle. If there is a way, then I'd have learned something new today.

Thanks to all who have contributed so far. I appreciate it.

I havent heard of this either....

I also would let your customer know that XP is prolly not the way to go right now cuz from what I understand all support and updates for XP will be unavailable after April unless you have a contract with Microsoft...

Just some food for thought

Windows 7 will be final by October end at the latest, so it's not hard to see why.

I've never heard of this before either. To my knowledge, all the major companies like Dell, Acer etc. downgrade the OS for you and take money off the overall price of the computer. Of course, I could be wrong. A suggestion would be to ask Dell's customer support as well as other companies to see what they usually do.

Hi there, Allendale2008, thanks for pointing that out. See, I was too mad to care. I'm working on my bachelors in English, so I'm usually a pretty good speller, except for when I'm pissed off like I was earlier. Then, I don't care. :) You'll get some points for that.

To the rest, I found something out. Within the first thirty days upon the purchase of the computer, you can request recovery disks with the XP opperating system, rather than Vista, to use for the downgrade under the downgrading rights for computers that have Vista Business or Ultimate.

As far as Vista is concerned, I don't see the benefits to making my customer purchase it, as it is still quite buggy. It is a wonderful opperating system if all the issues were resolved. I can't very well in good conscience push it on my customer if he does not want it. If customers request it, that is fine. I give them what they want. I'm one of the few that still sell computers with XP. I have many of them left. They just did not have the spects he wanted, hence the reason I had to use the one that was downgradable that I mentioned in my prior post. I and many other businesses, still use XP, and none of us plan to change anytime soon. However, I'm excited about Windows 7.

I thank all of you for your help once again. And I'm glad I found out what I did.

Back
Top Bottom