Using a branded top-up voucher...

Scissorman

In Runtime
Do you need a (example) Vodafone branded phone for this to work?

On the top-up instructions stated on their site for the voucher option specifically, it says you have to dial 444 using a Vodafone, 'pay as you go' phone. But I assume you don't need a phone that is operated by Vodafone to do that. Can you just enter the 16 digit code on any phone after one dials that number?

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question. I don't know this technology stuff from Adam. I think they probably just say that to get you to waste money buying their products. I was actually interested in the unlimited data, minutes and texts option. My broadband is too expensive, and nowadays you can get a great connection in most places anyway, so I thought about just using mobile data via hotspots, or whatever you call this.

:hide:

Had to search Vodafone to see what it is. >_<

As long as the phone has a Vodafone SIM card it should work. In other words, '444' is only going to work on the Vodafone network.

Do you really get unlimited data? Most that claim unlimited actually has a cap.

Yeah. I think it's unlimited. Some of the services though only have an online option for topping up, but I think it's better if you can just key in a code from a receipt.

I used to get a cheaper "goody bag" with giffgaff.com, and I found that when I was tethering away from my Wi-Fi, it would go down fast. Then I decided to pay a bit more to get unlimited data, for doing streaming outdoors. Not that anybody watches me on YouTube, except radge pots.

Recently, I have found myself wanting to go for a walk and play music a lot these days, because I get so bored being glued to a laptop or TV screen in my flat. The only problem with YouTube is that you cannot use the lock button when you're playing a video, and if you have it in your pocket moving about with earphones plugged in, it's a touch-screen phone.

I don't want to keep adding music files to my phone's external storage, because all those files take up space, and so I just use YouTube. Normally, I use the camera to do scenes for films which uses up the available space, but I will have to look into getting a SD-card. I wasn't sure about that, because sometimes the SD-card readers on laptops don't work right, and I wouldn't want to lose my videos.

I just know if I didn't have unlimited data, it would be used up too quickly for browsing. Like, there's a park near my flat and I can just walk around the park, posting on forums and playing tunes. In fact, I didn't even know you could use a mobile phone as a modem. It just came to me yesterday, because my ISP cut me off for not paying my billing on time. I was hoping to get rid of broadband and use the mobile link up feature. I don't really play online games, so I don't think it would affect me with lagging or anything like that.

Check the small print.

I stayed with gif gafs most expensive limited plan £10 for 4gb data, 500 minutes unlimited sms, because it allows tethering, their £15 unlimited data pack does not allow tethering.

PCs tend to use more data. Unlimited phone data is unlimited phone data, not necessarily a replacement for home broadband.

Back
Top Bottom