Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-17-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Use of Netbooks

I read an article recently about how Netbook sales are going to increase by 80% in 2009. I never really understood the use of them, but recently decided to check them out. I think I am going to purchase a Dell Netbook. And see what uses I can have for them. The are pretty cheap. However, before I do this I wanted to hear what uses people had for netbooks.

This article had said that they are becoming useful recipe books in the kitchen. What do you think?

drm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Daemon Poster
Default Re: Use of Netbooks

Ultra Portability and mobility, mostly used just for browsing the internet, checking email or im'ing. I prefer a more powerful laptop that one of these small netbooks.

AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe
Corsair CM2 X 512 x 2 A-6400
Nvidia 7600 GS 256 MB PCI-E 16x
jo5h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Fully Optimized
Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: Use of Netbooks

Netbooks are best for what their name says, browsing the web. They are good to keep around to use programs like AIM or Skype because of their portability. They also have very long battery life compared to most laptops (netbooks can last anywhere from 3 to 6 hours from what I have seen so far, and it wouldn't surprise me if they came out with ones that can push 10 hours in the near future). Netbooks are not for gaming at all, though they probably could play casual games (Luxor, Solitaire, Zuma, Chuzzle, etc..) with little problem. These are great for school or work as you can take notes with relative ease and then take it home, connect to a printer, and there you go. Most netbooks don't use Windows, and if they do, its a low requirement OEM copy of it. Most of the netbooks I have seen use Linux, and the Dell ones you linked to have an option for XP or Linux.

A netbook would be a good investment if you are always on the move, don't want to sit down in front of a desktop, or need a quick and easy way to store, view and maintain data.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote