USB LED's ?

ssc456

Fully Optimized
is it possible to strip down a usb cable and to find out which of the cables are power cables and run some 5V leds off it ?

Yer that is possible , although i dunno if 5v leds are readily available but if not just get like a 3.3v and throw a protection resistor in there
and the usb pinout is

1 VCC Red +5 VDC
2 D- White Data -
3 D+ Green Data +
4 GND Black Ground
sso you would connect the led to the 1st and 4th pin

Use this to calculate the value of the voltage drop resistor.

wish i had known about this last time i did an led job i worked it all out using the ohms law calculation

as for using about a 3v led you will want aprox 150ohms and max current of an led is about 15 miliamps

I know what you mean. Studied all this in college. Then I got lazy and used Excel to make my calculations.

can you ,havent had experience with them myself we only use 3.3v blue ones max at college

You can easily get 5v LED's :)

yeah theres lots of 5v LEDs about specially at maplins + i dont have a lort of experience with LED's ive only done 1 project before which was a light in the hood of my fish tank

i tried,

2 X 1.5V batterie -------- Switch --------- 3V LED ---------- 3V LED ------- 3V LED ------------ 2X 1.5V batteries,

that didnt work at all.

so in the end i did what i thought was wrong but it worked,

2X1.5V batteries ----------Switch --------------3V LED
................................../......|......\.............................
.............................../.........|.........\
........................3V LED.....3V LED......3V LED

basicly i had 6 LEDs and ran 6 cables from the switch to each led and 6 cabled from the negative back to the battery negative, this was very messy but it worked,

why didnt it work going 3V LED - 3V LED - 3V LED ?????

edit. jus looked at that link, so lets say i got 3V battery and 3V LED after the 1st LED id need a resistor = to the amount of current the 1st LED takes then after the 2nd id need 1 that the 1st and 2nd LED current takes?

i dont understand resistors help me please, noob

Back
Top Bottom