Urgent, Very Urgent!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brookfield

Golden Master
VERY URGENT!!

Please read all, carefully, It's complicated, thanks,

I'm not overdramatising, I recently posted here, in the social lounge that I was back online after having problems, they have returned, somehow, on Saturday, I acquired a strange new icon, ignoring it, I got on line via the usual Wanadoo dial up, connected OK, but before I could access a reported post, the dial up began again, & it showed that I was connected to "GB" dialer, which took my directly to a site that I had never heard of.
A pop-up top left asked me to enter a password, yesterday, I did the same, but nothing happened, happy, I posted the "I'm back" message as a quote to Seti, who was aking where everybody was, unrelated to my problem.
Today, it happened again, I had to re-boot, then very quickly clicked on any CF message, & went to that post, then I was able to post this, this seems to work as long as I connect with an item on CF that way, I beat the GB dialer.

Now, initially, will someone PLEASE just tell me that if I r/click the new icon, which is definitely related to my problem, & send it to the recycle bin, [I've tested it] will I then be able to delete it from there, & be rid of it??
I've looked in programs, nothing there, did a search, & it came up as "GB dial-1309 C/ docs & settings members area" it is undated, unlike other unrelated entries beside it.

This is driving me up the wall, please get back to me today or at the very latest tomorrow, I have someone very ill, who I can only email, just tell me for now, if the icon/recycle bin idea would work, my head is spinning!

Maurice

deleting it won't do much good. Atleast other icons that just appear out of no where (usually because of adware, spyware etc) just come back if u delete it.
And this could be very serious, I don't mean to scare u or anything, but since u are on dial up, and then some strange program dials, it could be that someone else is using ur internet connection. Something similar happened to a guy I know, and he didn't like the internet bill he got. I don't know how ur dial up works, but atleast in here with dial up u pay for the time u spend on the internet. (+ a small monthly fee of course). So if u are paying according to how much u use the internet then this could be a very bad thing.
It could be that, or then it could be just some adware or spyware.

Formatting windows would definitely get rid of it, but before going that far try the usual stuff. Like check the startup (start -> run -> msconfig -> startup) for anything that shouldn't be there. (google every process)
And u could also try to do anti-virus & anti-spyware etc scans in safe mode.

mammikoura said:
deleting it won't do much good. Atleast other icons that just appear out of no where (usually because of adware, spyware etc) just come back if u delete it.
And this could be very serious, I don't mean to scare u or anything, but since u are on dial up, and then some strange program dials, it could be that someone else is using ur internet connection. Something similar happened to a guy I know, and he didn't like the internet bill he got. I don't know how ur dial up works, but atleast in here with dial up u pay for the time u spend on the internet. (+ a small monthly fee of course). So if u are paying according to how much u use the internet then this could be a very bad thing.
It could be that, or then it could be just some adware or spyware.

Formatting windows would definitely get rid of it, but before going that far try the usual stuff. Like check the startup (start -> run -> msconfig -> startup) for anything that shouldn't be there. (google every process)
And u could also try to do anti-virus & anti-spyware etc scans in safe mode.
Luckily, I pay a fixed monthly fee, it's called "Wanadoo Anytime", I can literally stay online all day, at the end of an hour, hour & a half Wanadoo dial up again, saying thirty seconds, twentynine etc, if you leave it, it dials up anyway, if you press connect, it does it straight away, a great arrangement for £15 a month.
You mention programs, there is no sign there, as I have said, but what about what I found when I did a search, how does that fit in?, I did run my anti-virus, "no virus found" also nothing suspicious at Adaware.
If anything further occurs to to you, please contact me, thanks.

Your Dial-up is £15 a month?

My 2meg broadband is only £17.99 a month.

There is a strong possibility that this could be a rogue dialler, which is when you have installed something from the internet, and it then changes your dial up settings. This is often a premium number, and can lead to very expensive phone bills.

British Telecom have clamped down on about a 1000 of these companies, more information can be found here

Rogue dialer information

I hope this helps but I just wanted you to be aware of the risk of very high phone bills.

Lac3y said:

same but if i go up the street use my pringle tube antenna i can bridge my 2meg with someone elses i can access and this 4meg :D

Dev0115 said:
WAT 2mb??? MY 1.4 mb sets me back 37 a month verizon dsl...Philyyy broad suks ass

tiscali im on - Im sure its £14.99/ month for 6months then £17.99 onward

free modem, connection and all that jazz!

setishock said:
Adaware
Spybot S&D
AVG antivirus
Run from safe mode.
I've run AVG & Adaware, but am not confident enough to go into safe mode.
Computer techies are like hensteeth on the Isle of Wight, & the only one I trust after one idiot wiped my h/drive by accident, is on a fortnight's vacation, my friend who is desperately ill [no kidding] will probably be dead before I can contact his carer, it is a fluke that I contacted CF this morning, this GB dealer is intermittent, have you heard of it?

Maurice

Lac3y said:

As I've said previously, I know that broadband has a lot of advantages, but I have plenty of time, being retired, so I don't mind the wait, my Wanadoo b/band costs the same as yours, it has nothing to do with the extra expense, I could easily afford it, I have two fat pensions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom