UPC Bar codes.

archie-05

Solid State Member
My question comes from my professor as an extra credit. "how many UPC codes can be made?" although I have spent several hours trying to find out I still have yet to get any answer at all. If anyone knows or has any idea at all I would love to hear it. Thx!

Are we talking about UPC-A codes here? There's a few different types, UPC-A being the most common, but the number of possible codes would differ depending on what type is in use...

I'm sorry to say that was not specified. :( If you do know either then I suppose I would use that and then bring up the different types in my next class.

If it wasn't specified then he means UPC-A ;)

UPC-A codes are made up of 12 decimal digits (there's a few non-decimal fixed ones in there as well but we don't need to worry about them if we're just interested in the number available.) However, the last decimal digit is a checksum, so that doesn't count either. That gives us 11 decimal digits to play with - the first digit isn't a free for all, I think 1-5 are reserved for various special uses while 0 and 6-9 aren't - but I'm ignoring practicalities for this example.

This gives us therefore however many combinations we can make with 11 decimal digits, which I make as 100,000,000,000 - 100 (US) billion or 100 thousand million to be more specific :)

Back
Top Bottom