United States of America vs. Microsoft Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apple is now based on UNIX(linux)

Wrong, Linux is a UNIX style kernel, it is distincly different from UNIX as it was made by that Linus chap, and the patent is not held by SCO.

Microsoft enlisted the aid of Akamai. Akamai runs linux servers.
As it says on that page, Microsoft enlisted the help of Akamai, Akamai are a hosting company, whilst we know that Microsoft does host it's own sites, why shouldn't it be able to enlist the help of a hosting company? thousands of other sites do. -and no company, no matter how big they are get to dictate what the companies they employ the services of use.

As for the Linux brand routers, I don't believe that, and you'll find, again reading the article more fully than just the headline, the person who made this claim was in fat just rather amaturish, in as far as a properly protected machine will not release a server signature, and therefore Nmap (a GNU/Linux tool) assumes it *must* be a linux server. - This is a short sight of the software, anyone that assumes anything is bound to be wrong at least once, and it is an inability of the obviously pro-linux reporter to interperate the results of a scan without bias taking all oppertunities into account.

Going back to another point you made, Microsoft sales taking numbers from the amount of machines connected to the net and microsoft box sales? -also doesn't account for microsoft machines connected to the net and piracy of microsoft products.
Chances are that if you are not buying a boxed edition of Linux then you are connected to the net in some way in order to download the ISO's.
The problem is that when weighing up all the possible options including the illegal distribution of software and free software there is no real way to tell what percentage of the word uses what. -Suffice to say that practically all open access computers use windows, -just pop along to your local library, school uni, or open a survey for anyone. -you'll find that a lot of people who are more computer fluent use Linux, whilst those who use computers as simply a way of life to surf the net / check emails use windows, simply because it is user friendly.
plus doesn't tak into account those computers running on private networks protected by firewalls that mean the computers can't be queried/scanned.

You'll find that Cisco have their own software which is neither linux nor windows based.

You'll also be pleased/surprised to know that Linux is just a kernel. it doesn't have any applications, short of the GNU ones suplied with it. (of which there are windows ports because they are written well) -in fact the GNU applications were written before the time of linux.
Networking in Linux (sorry that should say under or ontop of Linux) is done via Berkley sockets. -which were around long long long before Linux was even dreamed of.

Linux is nothing new, the only reason it does so well is because people can play with it.
if/when properly configured windows can be just as secure and twice (if not three) times as easy to use!.

(interestingly enough I'm a network admin, I use windows an linux as desktop and server OS's. -I have a mac at home, I went to uni where I studied a module in network programming which is how/why I know about socket programming in both Brekley style and Microsoft MFC style sockets. and I know that Cisco make their own software because of the reports of Cisco source leaks that came in the news as well as the fact that as a part of my electronics course I studied embedded programming -That is to say I know how easy it is to make a truely embedded device/OS -on a single chip).

Unfortunatly most embedded programming appears to be moving away from C towards Java where it is able to run on both windows and Linux based systems as well as devices programmed sans-OS running on technology developed by Sun.

Sorry I hate to be the one to point it out, but your argument was fatally flawed when you provided your arguments all from just one true source (a linux magazine) (I dont count your own blog as a true source, frankly I have my own Blog and can write whatever I like there, Also the fact that a server where someone buys hosting runs on linux is neither here nor there. (since MS hosting is almost always more expensive due to Licensing schemes).

I New that Cisco ran they're own OS/software on they equipment. They're are lots of different OSes out in the world; wintel, mac, linux, OS/2, BeOS and many more. I also know that deep down what linux is made up of, though I may not know what most or nearly any of the components do, I know that they are there.
I also know that linux is just a kernel that Linus Torvalds wrote off of Minix. It was created for people that wanted more flexibility to create they're own modules for the kernel. The chosen distribution is a large group of small and big programs and modules packaged together to create a full OS experience.
From personally experiences the embedded linux clips seem to be more advanced, but I've only seen a Windows CE embedded chip on the wintel side.
From experiences, only people that start on windows and move to linux find windows easier to use. I got my grandma started on Mandrake 9.2 and she likes it better then windows. She can do everything she needs to do on a computer with out worrying about the viruses and spyware that her friends experience. That doesn't mean that I don't think windows is more user-friendly, It is. It's newbie oriented, but not flexible. You can't make it exactly what you want it to be without voiding the warranty.

Another interesting fact I like is that windows share is expected to drop to 60% of the market share from the 90% it controls now. That means that unix-based(linux, bsd, mac) and alternative OSes will grow in the population.

Windows is releasing a "Starter Edition" of it's OS for half the price and with half the features. They're releasing this to try to get users in Russia to stop using Linux and pirated copys of windows.

Personally I have nothing against Microsoft, I just know that there is better out there for a user like me, I'll politely convert, if resistance is shown I give up.

Just after I posted that last post I was talking to my girlfriend on gaim running MSN and her wintel xp computer crashed giving her the blue screen of death. She is a novice user, she only uses her computer to casually surf the web, chat on msn, type up her homework. The computer is only a year old and should be running fine. No pirated software, no spyware, no viruses, nothing. I check it, so I know for a fact. Her computer has no reason to crash on her if shes only running MSN and MS word.

Quote:

Wrong, Linux is a UNIX style kernel, it is distinctly different from UNIX as it was made by that Linus chap, and the patent is not held by SCO.

I said that Mac was based on UNIX and Linux which is true. When developing Mac OS X(10) they took three existing operating systems into consideration. Mac OS 9, FreeBSD, and Darwin Linux. Apple took the best things from FreeBSD and Darwin, then injected them in to OS 9. Designed a new interface, designed a lot of new programs and applications.

well gaim kept disconnecting me all the time and also mp3 support wasnt built into redhat 9. I had to edit 5 fiels to get it working universally.

No she was on MSN on Windoze. I was on Gaim and I was fine. She was the one that got disconnected.

Also if you want everything to work out of the box, I would use Mandrake or SuSE.

Sorry I missunderstood the first part...

I felt should have been

Apple is now based on UNIX
Or,
Apple is now based on Linux(UNIX)

and of course the word Apple should have been replaced by either OS 10, OSX or Jaguar.

The implication of saying it was based on linux(unix) is that unix is based on linux as it takes second preference, easy mistake...

I agree there is no reason for your friends computer to blue screen as they are only running MSN/Word, but perhaps that should say "as far as they know they are only running MSN/Word" -as has been pointed out, windows machines are under constant attack on the internet, notably you didn't say they were running a firewall, and so I would expect there to be problems.

Also I have to agree, most Linux stuff doesn't work out of the box, My PC at home crashes during the inatsllation of Redhat 9 and Fedora core 1, and Debian, meaning im relegated to using redhat 8.

I've tried mandrake and didn't like it. Ironically enough the reason I didn't like it was that it is a bit too much like windows, too 'user friendly' but it is user friendly in a restrictive way (I find)...

Also I couldn't get GAIM to work with my MSN details, and havn't been bothered to press arrow down during the lilo boot menu since...

Hum, I never have problems out of the box. But then again, I never do the preset installs, I always install using the custom. The only problem I've had is that Mplayer and Xine arn't installed by default and that In fedora core 1 and 2 that NTFS isn't included but is easily downloaded. I don't like GAIM for my msn I prefer aMSN, I found it to be the closest thing to the real thing. I like that Yahoo, AIM and the other protocols have a client for Linux. Microsoft wouldn't bother though.

Mandrake is a little to user friendly, A gentoo install would be the least user friendly. Personally I like Slackware 10.0 right now.

And my girlfriend was only running MSN and word, the system is behind a router and has a software firewall(XP SP2) and Mcafee Virusscan to protect her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom