United States of America vs. Microsoft Corporation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Kalthorn said:
I think I've bashed Linux more than a few Score times here; a couple of times at my Forum and a few times at Matt's Forum :D

yeh you have

i would write someing long but with my spelling it wouldnt make sence

i am undicided with what Os i like the most and as people have said they both have there good and bad pionts

and yes i have tried linux i have Fedore Core and windows XP home both on my Box and im very fond of both

i am growing to like Linux more tho its very cool
and when you have been with Windows so long its nice to have something new to play with

gp_aaron said:
To Lord K "Is there a Microsoft Router Style Operating System?" Yes there is, Microsoft has a whole developer section on embedded systems. Developing OSes for things such as routers, Cell phones, Kiosks and so on. They just used a stripped down linux kernel in there routers and networking equipment.
Oh! Lol; I never thought of Embedded Operating Systems including Routers. Thats just my lack of knowledge about such things - Dell would be a better idea to discuss that sort of thing with. :D

gp_aaron said:
To Dell_ate_my_dog: Microsoft isn't total against linux, they just like to make comments about it in press conferences. Like when the spokes person from MS said that "Linux will never be ready for the Desktop" even though MS is partnered with Apple and Apple is now based on UNIX(linux) and is a strong supporter of both OSes. Personally I think the people over at mac are doing it right. They took Free BSD and Mac OS 9 and Darwin Linux and picked the best things of each at merged them in to one really good operating system. The only problem is Apple made their new super OS to only run on apples hardware. Other than that Apple is a amazing company and created a amazing OS.
What I wonder is whether the MacOS can run with the stability of Windows on any Computer Configuration given some time to edit it? I seriously don't think they could do it in the time Microsoft will take to do Longhorn. Most people would disagree with that :D What are you using to define an Amazing OS? Its unstable enough and there are so few versions of hardware to run it on! Imagine it with the Billions of Trillions of different configurations that Windows Faces?

gp_aaron said:
Bottom Line: Companys; Microsoft silently bashes linux. Linux companys are usually fairly silent to the existence of Windows. Apple supports both, and sits back a dominates and evolves past both.
Users; Most Windows users have never used linux or mac and bash it because they think it's not what they know. Some linux users bash windows, few bash mac. Other linux users are polite in they're reasons for abandoning Windows.(like me) Some Mac users bash both thinking that they are the best. Most mac users just politely try to convert the others.

Anyways, thats my to cents CND
Does it! :D Its another economics of scale thing; Mac is only a small percentage of the OS market; Linux is a little bigger but still comparitively small even with the non-Internet non-Boxed Users. Microsoft handles all the rest - and everybody knows it and more people can hence try to do things to it. Mac or Linux in the position, Open-Source or not would have a damned problem. And likely face the same onslaught from Mac and Linux Users; and from the Hardcore of Windows Users, like Windows does from Linux and Mac Users. It is always easier to attack the bigger targets :D

linux's design is what keep users from swtching. its hard to get a certain peice of hardware working with linux, sicne it has to be built into teh kernel and thats not updated very often.

And the Update System really isn't very good. The updates as far as I know only come through new versions - and although Linux says it very good - there are so many new versions they could just be hiding patches in the new versions.

When Mac releases they're yearly upgrades to Mac OS X they include well over 150 new and useful features. Mac OS X Tiger (the next Upgrade for the Mac has some of the coolest features, some that will be in Longhorn and others that will take microsoft years to duplicate. When Mac OS X first came out and became a hit, Microsoft went to Apple and asked to partner up with Apple. The deal was that if Microsoft set up a developer team for Microsoft Office and other products to run natively on Mac OS X that microsoft could port some of the really good features in to the next generation OS, Longhorn.
Windows is the dominate OS partly because when it was first released as a GUI OS (Win 1.1 I believe, could be 3.1 though) They went around to more companies to partner up and make computer to run they're OS. Apple stayed within they're companies(Apple, IBM, so on).

Just a little fact, I do not own a Mac but I love to use them and how amazing they work, and they work right!

Well; we've only seen the Alpha of Longhorn - and only vaguely. What is in it finally nobody knows. Microsoft probably doesn't know at the moment, only what they want to be in it - only god knows what WILL be in it.

After 5 years, it should be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom