Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Two powerful storms out of season

Referring to Hurricane Sandy and the nor'easter we just had (US). I just saw an interesting
piece of speculation flash from CBS news. The thinking now is we're headed for a rough winter this season.

It takes more than that to convince me. What do you think?

Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
Omnicide now.

Default Re: Two powerful storms out of season

Hurricane Sandy wasn't out of season, or really even that unusual. Traditionally, hurricane season is considered to last until 30 November. Here's a chart from the NOAA website showing hurricane activity.

Late October is definitely on the outer edge of that curve, but it's within the norm. Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm, only reaching category 2 at its peak. It was just a huge deal because it hit a vulnerable area that really wasn't prepared for such a storm.

As far as the "nor'easter" (what a stupid term, they should come up with something better) that was really only notable because it came right after Hurricane Sandy. I'm actually having trouble finding any proper data on it because the only thing being talked about is the power outages, mainly leftover from Sandy.

So yeah, I'm just going to go with horrible coincidence here. I'm not an expert on weather though, so I could be completely wrong. I just haven't seen any good reasoning beyond "well it's been bad so far..."

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Nor'easter is a term we use up here ALL the time. It's a normal term depending where you are from.
"Oh yah, eh, got a big nor'eastern coming in, eh. I hope it don't make me miss da turdy point buck tonight."

Yooper accent. It comes from the Fins.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 AM   #4
Omnicide now.

It's too ambiguous. If I heard that I'd think they were talking about a person from the northeast. Not to mention the fact that it just sounds ridiculous.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Golden Master

Well today where I live in Australia in Tasmania we were on a tornadoes alert but thankfully only a mini one happened and also for storms...
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
Hurricane Sandy wasn't out of season, or really even that unusual. Traditionally, hurricane season is considered to last until 30 November. Here's a chart from the NOAA website showing hurricane activity.

Late October is definitely on the outer edge of that curve, but it's within the norm. Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm, only reaching category 2 at its peak. It was just a huge deal because it hit a vulnerable area that really wasn't prepared for such a storm.

As far as the "nor'easter" (what a stupid term, they should come up with something better) that was really only notable because it came right after Hurricane Sandy. I'm actually having trouble finding any proper data on it because the only thing being talked about is the power outages, mainly leftover from Sandy.

So yeah, I'm just going to go with horrible coincidence here. I'm not an expert on weather though, so I could be completely wrong. I just haven't seen any good reasoning beyond "well it's been bad so far..."
"Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm..." there are many here that would debate that.

I also wanted to say it's my understanding that the term "nor'easter" goes back to Benjamin Franklin.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Explorer View Post
"Sandy wasn't even a particularly strong storm..." there are many here that would debate that.

I also wanted to say it's my understanding that the term "nor'easter" goes back to Benjamin Franklin.
you would be a good weatherman
Old 11-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337G33k View Post
you would be a good weatherman
Glenn "Hurricane" Schwarz already has that distinction.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
It's too ambiguous. If I heard that I'd think they were talking about a person from the northeast. Not to mention the fact that it just sounds ridiculous.
A lot of storms up here come from the north east. And Nor'easter is exactly how they said it, so it stuck. If you say it up here, everyone will know exactly what you are saying.