Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM   #1
Omnicide now.

Default Is this TV good?

So, currently, my family's TV is a 27" CRT that we bought at radioshack for $120 after my parents got divorced. We have been saving for almost 3 yers to buy a new TV, so now it is actually time to get it. We wanted a 42", but this one seems nice. http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...f-eeb1b674a000
Has anyone had any experience with proscan? I know the contrast isn't great, and it is an LCD, but its either settle with that, or wait another year for a plasma, which we can't do as our RCA is dying. What do you suggest? the budget is $600.

foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Golden Master

Default Re: Is this TV good?

ProScan used to be reserved for RCA's high end product line. I had a friend who owned a set a few years ago. If it's anything like RCA in recent years, their quality has fallen sharply. I would honestly stick with household brands for televisions if you're planning to use this as your primary set.

Edit: After some further research, it looks like an umbrella brand for a third party company. I personally wouldn't touch it.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Omnicide now.

OK then. What would you suggest?
My current set is an RCA, but it is like 5 years old. I've never heard of a CRT dying after only 5 years. They are usually like a rock.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires

Hey kid you're over here by me. I'm in east BR. The Best Buy over by here has some scratch and dent items that are going for cheap. Their house brand has a good picture for a decent price.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Golden Master

Quote:
OK then. What would you suggest?
I personally don't have any real suggestions. I'd assume any major electronics brand like Panasonic, Sony, or Samsung could offer a reliable television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
My current set is an RCA, but it is like 5 years old. I've never heard of a CRT dying after only 5 years. They are usually like a rock.
Yeah, RCA is owned by Thomson SA. They're currently a shadow of their past. Thomson SA virtually sold the brand to the highest bidder for licensing. It's really tragic what they did to tarnish the reputation of RCA.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
Hey kid you're over here by me. I'm in east BR. The Best Buy over by here has some scratch and dent items that are going for cheap. Their house brand has a good picture for a decent price.
OK. I'll go check tonight. Their website said that all hdtvs will be on sale sunday and monday, but it is online only. I'm hoping that that includes store pickup so I don't have to pay for shipping that I don't need.

I'm in East BR too.

What is the house brand?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

something like Dynex or Westinghouse? or are those not it?
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
What is the house brand?
Any brand that is owned by the retailer who's distributing it. They license the brand out to third party vendors and sell it as their own. Insignia is Best Buy's house brand.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889101154

Its another $100 and a tiny bit smaller, but I've been very impressed with the Sharp Aquos series.

Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, and LG make great TV sets.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
Omnicide now.

Oh. I didn't know that about insignia. I probably won't buy an insignia. I've had 2 of their little portable DVD players and both broke. In fact, I've had 5 of thosse things, and not one still works at all. I just gave up, and bought a DVD drive for my iBook G4. That was the biggest pita to put in. it took like 2 hours since i didn't have any type of instuctions. I mean, what was apple thinking with that? The ENTIRE computer has to be disassembled to get to it. The HD is even worse.

Anyway, best buy has the proscan for $499. That's pretty tempting as there is no $30 shipping fee or $25 non-member fee like at costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889101154

Its another $100 and a tiny bit smaller, but I've been very impressed with the Sharp Aquos series.

Sony, Sharp, Panasonic, and LG make great TV sets.
Yeah, they are very nice, but I need 1080p, and the 40" is about as small as I am really willing to go.

The proscan has excellent reviews. Has anyone here actually owned one? I am definitely considering it, as it is everything we need, cheap, and I can buy it locally, so I don't have to pay for shipping, or return shipping if something is wrong with it.