Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 12-15-2011, 02:08 AM   #21
Site Team

Yeah thats life people come and go, lives and interests change. Hopefully more people will join and be active.

Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #22
Site Team

There were a couple of points where the number of members dropped, the biggest seemed to be around the time I upgraded to vb4 and as I feared to some it just didn't feel like CF anymore while others had been asking for the upgrades for ages

Old 12-16-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Site Team

I think I have a pretty good grasp of the drama from the past, thanks for the info. I experienced something that sounds very similar on another forum we work with and it took quite a while to build up momentum again. Ironically, once the forums started to get active again some of the old school members stopped by to see what was going on and started to participate again.

In the next month we will focus on search engine optimization and making sure all our old URLs are still working. This will ensure the best ranking for the threads and hopefully bring us some search engine traffic. We will install a registration roadblock encouraging guests to register. This has been very successful on other sites usually doubling registration rates. The next hurdle is turning new members into active posters. We'll also be working with the team to make sure everyone is on the same page regarding moderation so we will all be enforcing our Community Rules the same.

If we continue to take steps in the right direction we should be able to increase the posting rates and thus the vibrancy of our community in the years to come. Based on my experience at other sites, this is not a fast process, it could take 2-3 years to get things buzzing again. In the mean time we just keep pointed forward and keep taking steps in the right direction and ultimately we will get there.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
Omnicide now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
We will install a registration roadblock encouraging guests to register. This has been very successful on other sites usually doubling registration rates.
What does this mean? I've seen a lot of forums that will froce registration in order to view help threads, guides, faqs, etc. Please don't do this. It's extremely annoying, it makes useful information available to less people, and having it would probably dissuade me from ever joining. Of course if you meant something else, then I apologize; carry on.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothead View Post
What does this mean? I've seen a lot of forums that will froce registration in order to view help threads, guides, faqs, etc. Please don't do this. It's extremely annoying, it makes useful information available to less people, and having it would probably dissuade me from ever joining. Of course if you meant something else, then I apologize; carry on.

No - we will not do that. A registration roadblock is a somewhat annoying graphic at the top of the page that you see when you are not logged in. It takes up some page space and folks who are serious about reading forums will register to be able to avoid scrolling past it. No worries - we will not limit access for those not registered.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
Omnicide now.

Oh, okay then. I have no problem with that.
foothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 PM   #27
Site Team

You can see an example at this link:
Mercury 75 - RIBnet Forums

As I mentioned before, we don't have any magic tricks to revitalize a forum community but we have learned a few tricks over the years. If we can get more passers by to register and post then we should be able to get this place buzzing again. It's a long slow process...
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
xxcobraxx

JCB It's been cool getting to know you, glad you're sticking around and I'm sure it's for the best..

With love
-inventd45/me=inventd45
IAntDemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:18 PM   #29
Golden Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy

Welcome to the new admin team.....I'm Tom....I've been around here for a long long time and even had a stint or two at moderator so if you need any help let me know. Glad to see some new faces and fresh ideas coming to the site and I think it can only help.

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #30
xxcobraxx

Hi tommy, long time -xx cobra xx lol

Ye that seems a good idea to do with the front page.. seems a great idea