Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 02-15-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Tied for first place in my county

So, I am in a bit of a pickle as you would say it. But its a good thing.

I am currently tied in first place with someone in my county for Computer Maintenance Technology. This basically means I am the person to go to should you need help with computers. Lol, not really, but me and some other kid are actually able to compete at a state, and if we do good at that, a national level.

So, first we are going to have to settle the tie between us. I really want to do this, because I know a lot about computers and this would mean something to me, ya know? I have no idea what I should look at though. I need to know a lot about computer repair, obviously. I already know a bunch of stuff, but I need to touch up on a few things. For instance, the only thing I know about networking are the types (DSL, Cable, LAN, WAN, T1, T3, FIOS, etc...) and the CAT-5 cable. I don't think there is much about networking in my case, but there might be so I need to know some stuff.

You guys might know about the organization I am talking about. Skills USA.

So, I guess you should wish me luck because on Tuesday maybe, I will have to attempt to pwn another kid with my 1337 computer repairz.

I am in an actual computer maintenance class. The other kid is in CISCO/ARIES, so I don't know how good his repair skills are.

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Tied for first place in my county

GOOD LUCK ...
how old are you

Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #3
BSOD

Quote:
The other kid is in CISCO/ARIES, so I don't know how good his repair skills are.
He's probably a little bad ass on the computer as well. However, he probably specialize in Cisco products. Which is good for a business enviroment, but for home repair that shit is useless.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

I'm 16. I think the other guy is an adult student at my trade school. Below 20s, I know that much.

Me, personally, I know home repair. I know how to troubleshoot easily. Hardware is easy for me, I just start with the simple/ obvious (like a loose cable or dirty contact) and then work my way up to complicated (like a blown cap on the board, or burnt out CPU). I really don't know that much about networking protocols. Software, I know my way around that too.
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
Old 02-15-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

you sound pretty confident your better then him..
im almost 15 and no healps about computers aswell
Old 02-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Yeh, well, I REALLY want to go to my state's comp. That will get me a lot of rep, in the computer field and popularity wise. Working with computers is something I really love doing. I would rather mess around with a computer than I would anything else. It says on the SkillsUSA site that if I get to states, I take the A+ certification test as part of the competition. I think if I pass that, I think I can get that certification as well. For free. This is really something.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

I so wish my school had a computer maintenance class. another HS in my district does, but not my school. I could have gotten an A+ certification in that class if my school had it... Now I have to figure out how to do it on my own time. Though I don't know if i could really handle the class as all the computer teachers in my school are stupid... Currently I seriously doubt I would pass it the cert test, but I learn more every day. I did some practice tests and did ok on some, and then about 50% on some... I know I don't need a cert, but it "sounds" better since all these people don't trust anyone w/o it now.
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
Guru

Dude, I would love to take an A+ cert. class. My school offers it. Unfortunately, I already in my second semester of sophomore year and I still haven't taken it. My junior year is already planned out, full of Advanced Placement and Honors classes so there's no room for A+. But because of the hard classes I'm taking, my senior year is gonna be pretty much void as I'll have taken all science + math classes one would need for engineering at my school. So I should have room for A+.

FlighSimBoy. Good luck on your competition. I wanna see a picture of a trophy aight? Make CF proud bud.

EDIT: Sounds like lots of pressure, but I'm sure you will do fine.
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
BSOD

Quote:
I'm 16. I think the other guy is an adult student at my trade school. Below 20s, I know that much.

Me, personally, I know home repair. I know how to troubleshoot easily. Hardware is easy for me, I just start with the simple/ obvious (like a loose cable or dirty contact) and then work my way up to complicated (like a blown cap on the board, or burnt out CPU). I really don't know that much about networking protocols.
I'm 27 and I specialize in security. Whether it's database security, server security, network security,
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
Golden Master

If it is about networking stuff, you're in trouble. CISCO is all about networking. Anyway, this article is good for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_network

Learn about the protocols and hardware especially.