Thruxton track day

I've always wanted to do that so bad, they don't have that kind of stuff around here though.

So...reviews of the cars?

Even if you have the opportunity it's not guaranteed that you;ll actually get around to it, up until the age of 18 I had only ever lived in two places, firstly in Silverstone, and then in a two about 5 miles away! yet the only time I've ever been to the race track was to race radio controlled cars!

I've always wanted to do that so bad, they don't have that kind of stuff around here though.

So...reviews of the cars?

Well the cayman had great handling, if was very stable and gave you alot of confidence in driving it which I'm glad I did first.

The Dodge felt like a proper muscle car, you start it up and the whole car is shaking as the engine idles. What I hadn't realized before is how long the car is because you are actually sitting quite far back. The sound is the best thing from this car though :D

The single seater was a little scary at first, you have to wear a proper race suit, boots and gloves for this car and its totally different from all the others. You sit at a slight reclining angle on just a metal tray and the interior is very cramped! You have to put the steering wheel on after you get in and there are a couple of switches on the wheel to start it. There are three belts that strap you in too! The face of the pedals are extremely small which made it a little scary at first - on the first lap or so approaching a corner I had to feel where the brake was first! Alot of people where stalling these cars as they tried to pull away in the puts because they had such a light racing flywheel, you had to rev them quite high before releasing the clutch.

It was a quite experience to do, both the porsche and the dodge where awesome to drive but the single seater is totally different because at the end of the first two are still road cars with all the comforts that you would expect from road cars.

Well the cayman had great handling, if was very stable and gave you alot of confidence in driving it which I'm glad I did first.

Sounds just like the Porsche I know. :)

The Dodge felt like a proper muscle car, you start it up and the whole car is shaking as the engine idles. What I hadn't realized before is how long the car is because you are actually sitting quite far back. The sound is the best thing from this car though :D

Yeah, the Viper is supposed to sit like a roadster, with you sitting in front or almost on the rear axle.

The single seater was a little scary at first, you have to wear a proper race suit, boots and gloves for this car and its totally different from all the others. You sit at a slight reclining angle on just a metal tray and the interior is very cramped! You have to put the steering wheel on after you get in and there are a couple of switches on the wheel to start it. There are three belts that strap you in too! The face of the pedals are extremely small which made it a little scary at first - on the first lap or so approaching a corner I had to feel where the brake was first! Alot of people where stalling these cars as they tried to pull away in the puts because they had such a light racing flywheel, you had to rev them quite high before releasing the clutch.

It was a quite experience to do, both the porsche and the dodge where awesome to drive but the single seater is totally different because at the end of the first two are still road cars with all the comforts that you would expect from road cars.

Yeah, driving those little open-wheel single-seaters are amazing. When you think about it, it makes you admire and respect Formula 1 drivers even more. Anything you experienced in that little single-seater will probably be ten-fold in an F1 car. Maybe even twenty-fold.

Speaking of F1, the British Grand Prix is this weekend. :) Shame it's moving over to Donington Park next year...Silverstone is a special place.

What engine does the Dodge have?

And I'd love to drive that single seater. Don't they have tiny clutches too?

All Dodge Vipers have come with V10's from factory. So...much...torque. :dies:

Yeah, those little Formula single-seaters usually have really small and light clutches so you can keep the power going during races. Unfortunately it does take some getting used to as David said, it's really easy to stall when pulling away.

Even if you have the opportunity it's not guaranteed that you;ll actually get around to it, up until the age of 18 I had only ever lived in two places, firstly in Silverstone, and then in a two about 5 miles away! yet the only time I've ever been to the race track was to race radio controlled cars!

Yeah I still have never been to Thunderhill and Buttonwillow here in California. I have gone to Laguna Seca, but that's because it's only 30-40 minutes from where I live.

Sounds just like the Porsche I know. :)

Yeah, driving those little open-wheel single-seaters are amazing. When you think about it, it makes you admire and respect Formula 1 drivers even more. Anything you experienced in that little single-seater will probably be ten-fold in an F1 car. Maybe even twenty-fold. .

Yeah, I only did 5 laps (2.5 mile circuit) and I was shattered. They must be very fit to do 60 laps at their speeds.

Back
Top Bottom