Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #1
Solid State Member

Post Thoughts On Windows 8

I didn't see any threads about Windows 8 yet(most likely because it hasn't come out yet) so I decided to start one.

Obviously we can't make a full review (or critique for that matter) before Windows 8 is released, but what are your thoughts on it so far?
Do you think Microsoft should start ruling out computers(i.e.-desktops and laptops) to make way for tablet devices, like they are doing right now?
Or do you think they should keep the two operating systems separate?
I know multitudes of people who aren't going to switch over, what about you?
Basically what are your thoughts in it?

preytogod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Thoughts On Windows 8

I think it is going to be the answer on how to handle tablets in a school/business enviroment because it will be "windows" and will therefore work in a Windows enviroment so much better than iPads or Android tablets.

Let's just hope that that the hardware is capable of properly running the software.

jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
Wizard of Wires

I buy a new laptop with win7 on it and they're getting ready to release the next version of windows. Go fig...
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
I buy a new laptop with win7 on it and they're getting ready to release the next version of windows. Go fig...
yeah that sux. but you can most likely buy a upgrade version of windows 8, just like you could on windows 7.

i hope they bring back the proper start menu instead of enter metro interface when hitting the start menu button.
that thing belongs to taplets. if a am working in desktop mode, then i expect a startmenu. so there need to be another way to enter metro while i still have the menu. i hope that they do something like that in the final release.
else i am stikking with win7, or maybe there will be a work around to make it come back, just like there where in the first beta.
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
Golden Master

Unfortunately, MetroUI is to stay everywhere, but if they do that, they better get rid of the Desktop entirely. They can use Windows Explorer in MetroUI. If they keep it like that...then...ouch! It seems that the average joe has trouble with it already.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

You can switch to the desktop view and then there is an app already developed that will add the start button.

I'm too young, but I'm sure when the GUI first came out everyone was like...OMG how will I put in my commands...and now we can barely use DOS... People will adjust quickly and will be able to use it as a desktop OS without trouble.
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
Golden Master

Well, if that app is 3rd party, it is a real shame though...that's IF it is and not made by MS.

They could have left the start button and sent to start screen, but I believe that at this point, the traditional Explorer view should be removed entirely if you want to bring MetroUI, OR, have it either auto-detect or have the options of selecting profiles that will either enable MetroUI OR Explorer.

Yes, GUIs back then was a big change, but it was a very smart move. Then came along Win95, the OS that would set the standard of computing these days. That took time to adjust and once all the change has been made, Windows has been easy to use since, but what we are facing with Windows 8 isn't a new change...it's crippling the old experience so we have no clue were we go with our everyday applications, and the Start menu being removed for the moment is a big slap in the face.

If you introduce a new user interface, get rid of the other one; NEVER GO HYBRID ON UIs! NEVER!
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

I didn't like the UI at all when I was running it on my test PC. However, I do see how it could possibly be a workable UI for tablet devices...
Old 03-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboucher View Post
I didn't like the UI at all when I was running it on my test PC. However, I do see how it could possibly be a workable UI for tablet devices...
i agree.
i know there will be fixes that eliminates the metro UI.
i will most definitely use those.
and if Microsoft remove the good old start menu completely (witch i don't think they do), i know there will be 3-party alternatives for that aswell.

i want my OS to be kinda like a win 7.
BikerEcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #10
Baseband Member

I could never do serious or personal work on a tablet (virtual keyboards? NO!)
Windows 8 looks fine, but I won't use it. I don't even use Windows at all! Right now it's Zorin OS and Linux Mint for me

alvisno15 is offline   Reply With Quote