Think I found the Major I have been searching for...

superman22x

Golden Master
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_engineering

After being on set on going into Mechanical engineering to work on cars, this looks more straight forward.
Sadly, it knocks two schools off my list of three.
UW-Platteville and South Dakota School of Mines only offer Mechanical Engineering, not Automotive Engineering. This leaves me with only Michigan Tech, the most expensive of the three... as an option.
I am going to look into it a bit more of course, like the job availability, but it looks really cool to me... Maybe one day, you will see my design at the Detroit Auto Show, haha.

Well, after I researched it more, it still sounds great, but it's just a part of mechanical engineering. A focus in it. I think Michigan Tech will still be the best school for it though, being in Michigan, I will have a better chance of getting a job with the Big 3, might only be Ford left in a couple years... but, still the best chance to get an internship or job with Ford. Imagine being one of the Engineers behind the Raptor, or the Lightning, or any of the SVT trucks....

If I may provide some input.

I'm about a semester into my ME undergrad degree right now. With the way the auto industry in the US is looking, I'd put more thought into specializing. I'm interested in cars as well but keeping my options open as far as that goes, because as much as I do enjoy them, I'd also like stable work. ME's are versatile and can be hired just about anywhere. I originally got involved because I knew there were opportunities in aerospace and automotive, but I ended up going to work in a nuclear plant for work study. There's so much stuff out there so don't focus in on something until you've explored a bit.

Oh yeah. It's hard. I hope you enjoy math. lol
But if you work really hard you can get through it.

I do like Math, haha.
I figure the auto industry is down, but they need a redesign to bring it up... Which is where a automotive/mechanical engineer would come in.

Just be careful man. It's sad seeing our nation's economy slowly but surely being all shipped out overseas but it's happening. :(

Still, much of the labor by these auto companies is being outsourced to plants in Mexico and such. And there's a difference between the plant workers on the assembly lines and the engineers.

Back
Top Bottom