Texas Hold 'Em

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
I got a poker game tomoro evening round a friends house, not massive stakes but were young, so... i was wondering if anyone here has tips. I have played family before, and always win but against people you've never played before, its kinda worrying if you know what i mean, any tips at all are welcome. We're playing Limit Texas Hold 'Em poker for about 3 hrs maybe.

Are we really saying no one here plays Texas Hold em? Amazing, or is it just a bit slow atm on CF

I play it everyday, lol free of course, go find out on fulltiltpoker.net free and its great:

Btw, play slow and play very diffrent every 6 hands or something, be patient and make sure you use a strong bluff.

Play with ease, take it slow and play good hands alot, don't post a blind if their weak, only do it every so many hands.

Goodluck

Yeah, I play on Full Tilt, too. You'll learn a lot from experience. I used to play with some kids who whooped my butt. I started playing a lot more poker, and when I went back to play them again, I was the one who ended up with the money =D

I play texas, omaha, and 7 card stud.

One technique I use across all three games are as follows:

1. If I can play for less than %5 my total chip count I do, no matter what.
2. Right before the first round of betting I decide to bluff, play my hand, or fold. And if I start off playing my hand very rarely will I back down to someone else, and if im bluffing i don't back down half-way through my bluff. It can be risky, but it usually works.
3. My main exception to rule 2 is that I won't play any hand that takes more than 1/3 my chip count unless I have a top 5 hand (Ace-10 pocket pair in texas, but different for omaha and 7-card).

I play with my friends and have never lost more than $15 and usually come out around +$30-$100, but we usually pay $20-$50 buy-ins so i'm not too bad.

I play poker, never lost more then I put in:

o5dp42.jpg

Like I said, play smooth slow and you'll come out like me :)

Alright so I've been playing Hold em for about 9 years now. I started playing real money online back in late 04 on pokerroom.com Then after Bill Frist passed his stupid port security act and pokerroom left the US market I switched to full tilt. For the full tilt players my sn is mattiedashark83 (my old CF SN).

It would take me forever to explain theorys and calculations as you should know by now the game is very mathematical. Feel free to rail me (watch me) sometime if you like. I've slowed down the past few months but I think I may be starting back up shortly.

But now on to some basic principles.

Position This is one of the most important factors of the game. You know the dealer button then to the left is the small blind and then the big blind. The following seat is early position then obviously as you go around you have middle position and late positions.

Since your new I'd recommend the following.

Early position: AK,AQ,AA,KK,QQ which you can raise the pot I wouldn't get excited with hands like aj,a10,kq,JJ because your in a early spot and there are still a lot of people left in the pot to act. I'd recommend limping in with hands like that or even folding preflop in NL but limit a call is fine.

Middle position: If there was not much action IE any early position people in the pot through in a raise with any of the hands from early position and add hands in such as kq,aj,a10 and JJ, 10,10 etc. Pairs smaller then 10's I'd mostly recommend limping since your a new player and also playing limit and not NL. Also suited connectors IE 67, 78, etc of the same suit can become profitable.

Late postion: All of the above plus hands like jq,10j,a,9, 88,77 etc raise!

Again hands very a bit in limit so the more people that enter a pot preflop before you the greater the value your getting to call with oddball hands.

Thats just basic recommendations for starting hands.

Next up lets talk a little about odds. I'll use a simple example here. You hold AK of spades. The flop comes 2,5 of spades and a 9 of diamonds. You assume there are 9 spades left in the deck.

So on the flop you take 9X3 which gives you 27% of the time you will hit your flush.

On the turn if you miss you times it by 2 IE 9X2 = 18% you'll catch on the river.

Always know what your after to make your hands and how many outs you have. This formula will help you decipher pot odds and how likely you are to make your hand.

This becomes useful to decide if a call is plus EV or -EV. IE +EV = estimated value in the long run is profitable and - means long term you'll end up losing more than you make. So lets do a example hand to help you with Estimated value.

You have the AK of spades the flop comes 2,5 spades and a 9 of diamonds. Your playing 1/2 Limit. The pot is $8 dollars. First person bets out $1 so the total pot is $9 and you have $2 invested into the pot preflop. So you know you have a 27% chance of catching your flush not counting your ace and king as live. Meaning if you catch a ace or king you also win the pot. If you assume you win with a ace or king as well you would add another 6 outs for a total of 15 outs 15X3 45% of making the winning hand. Its going to cost you $1 more dollar for a change of winning $7 dollars. This is plus ev!

God I'm just going to confuse you explaining this plus I'm being lazy and I'm tired. I tell you what sometime if you want download full tilt and get on AIM. I'll play a game and explain why i'm doing what I'm doing hand by hand. Much easier to explain rather then typing stuff out. Just rail me in a game sometime.

Here are my overall multi table stats at full tilt. My ROI (Rate of Investment) should be higher but I play a lot of games just to screw around. Cash games are were I make most of my money. Multi's are for fun.

FullTiltstats.jpg

Also here are some Sit & Go stats from pokerroom.com. I've got my Full Tilt stats blocked through sharkscope so people can't see them. My Id there was widgetman101 same as the photobucket account i'm using for these pictures.

Pokerroom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom