Teen responsible for stealing PS3's shot dead

Ð88

Fully Optimized
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16042423/?GT1=8816

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A teenager accused of robbing a student of two new Playstation 3s on the day the popular game consoles were introduced was shot to death by police sent to arrest him.

Peyton Strickland, 18, was killed Friday at a house he shared with three roommates, New Hanover County Sheriff Sid Causey said.

“If this boy would've come to the door, opened the door, we probably wouldn't be talking,” the sheriff said Sunday.

Roommate Mike Rhoton said Strickland was unarmed, but may have been holding a video game controller when he went to the door as it was bashed in by officers.

Authorities promised Monday to fully investigate the fatal shooting. “No one is above the law and no one is beneath its protection,” District Attorney Ben David said. He declined to discuss details of the case.

The State Bureau of Investigation is examining the case and three deputies on the team were placed on paid leave, normal practice whenever officers fire their weapons, Causey said.

Arrest warrants alleged that Strickland, a student at Cape Fear Community College, and a University of North Carolina-Wilmington student stole two PlayStation units from another UNC-Wilmington student that day.

The sheriff said the robbery victim had waited three days in line to buy two Playstation 3 units for $641 each at a Wal-Mart. He was unloading the units at his campus apartment when one man beat him to the ground while another took the PlayStations, Causey said.

The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a a special police unit who went to help university officers serve warrants. He would not say why the special team was assisting.

Strickland's dog, a German shepherd, also was shot to death.

The second man named in the warrants was arrested at another address and was released on bail on Saturday, authorities said.

The nationwide introduction of the Sony game system on Nov. 17 was marked by rowdy crowds and store stampedes. One buyer waiting in line at a Connecticut store was shot by armed robbers.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed except by someone like Ð88

it sounds like the teen refused to open the door for the police so the police had to smash through it and the article says the teen may have been holding a controller or something which may have made them immediately think it was a gun so they took no chances and just shot him.

He got whats coming to him. All thieves should get shot.

EDIT: Thats one less bad person in the world. Think about it that way.

Ð88 said:
it sounds like the teen refused to open the door for the police so the police had to smash through it and the article says the teen may have been holding a controller or something which may have made them immediately think it was a gun so they took no chances and just shot him.
yeah i believe that's what happend, they thought he had a gun in his hand which was actually a PS3 controller. As soon as they see a item in a hand you get nailed. They don't take much chances, especially when he didn't open the door.

livemc said:
He got whats coming to him. All thieves should get shot.

EDIT: Thats one less bad person in the world. Think about it that way.

so what your saying is that his family should look at it that way and say he was a bad person.

what happens if it were your kid that gotten shot and killed? i don't think you would be saying the same thing.

Ronco Rox said:
so what your saying is that his family should look at it that way and say he was a bad person.

what happens if it were your kid that gotten shot and killed? i don't think you would be saying the same thing.
but really.. i wouldn't think very much of the person who went through all that trouble just to steal a video game console. it's simply idiotic..

Ronco Rox said:

yeah i mean, he made a mistake, he shudnt die for it, everyone f****s up once in a while, its part of life

Ð88 said:

"may have been holding a controller"
And mistaking a ps3 controller for a gun.. a boomerang perhaps? Cops should know what a gun looks like. And also, I don't think police are authorized to aim for the head. At least I think over here they aren't, because they are not supposed to kill people, even if it would be a thief with a ps3 controller.

Back
Top Bottom