Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #11
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,629
Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

A guy I used to car pool with had a similar Dodge and you can use 4 wheel drive on the fly. If you're driving and start sliding around let off the gas flip the switch and go. Turn it off when you hit the top of the hill or be a sissy and leave it in
__________________

ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

@Celegorm AWD and 4WD are a bit different. The front end diff is adjusted for pavement use.
__________________

__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
Site Team
 
Lowndsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,607
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
As a rule of thumb there is no reason why you can't always be in 4-wheel but you do need to be careful with turning and stuff.
Sorry mate but I wouldn't follow this advice. Full time 4wd's have a center diff that locks in when 4wd is engaged. This diff is what stops the wind up. Part time 4wd's dont have the center diff.
__________________
JogaBonito1502: I guess Microsoft is really not to blame. Sorry!

KMATB
Lowndsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #14
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

I would never leave it on full time. There's just no need to.

Thanks for all the help everyone!
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #15
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
But if there is clear road, you want to turn it off. Often the front and rear diffs are slightly different which would cause you to wind up your drive train if driving too long on clear pavement.
The center diff on 4WD allows for different speeds at the front/rear. So there's no chance of winding up the tranny at all, unless you lock the center diff, but this should be used only on slippery stuff and the modern 4WD will un-lock the center diff automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantofhell View Post
@Celegorm AWD and 4WD are a bit different. The front end diff is adjusted for pavement use.
AWD/4WD what ever you wanna call it, it's the same thing regardless of the different diff's @ the front/rear.

EDIT:

Just realised that there are differences with AWD and 4WD. My bad.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #16
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 624
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

There is a big difference between an AWD and a 4WD, and a big difference between Full time and Part time.

AWD - uses a syncro, hydraulic or clutch style transfer case. which allows all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds but still giving all the wheels a bit of torque in slippery conditions.
This also falls under the fancy computer controlled AWD's as well

4WD - uses a chain or gears in a transfer case to lock the front and rear differentials together, so no matter what there is one rear and one front wheel spinning. This is (according to Jeep) called Part Time 4WD. meaning you will only drive with it engaged for a part of the time.

A Full Time 4WD transfer case is something that can be left engaged, Full Time. It will automatically engage when the rear wheels slip or spin, then disengage after a short period of normal driving. so for the most part your driving in 2WD

My Grand Cherokee has both options for Full and Part time 4WD.

these are basic explanations of how they work. hope it helps.
__________________
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3<>PhenomII X4 965e<>Asus ENGTX460
Seagate 320GB/1TB<>Win7 Ulti 64Bit<>Antec900
SyncMaster 2220WM<>HyperX 16gb<>Cooler Master 600W
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by detox View Post
There is a big difference between an AWD and a 4WD, and a big difference between Full time and Part time.

AWD - uses a syncro, hydraulic or clutch style transfer case. which allows all 4 wheels to spin at different speeds but still giving all the wheels a bit of torque in slippery conditions.
This also falls under the fancy computer controlled AWD's as well

4WD - uses a chain or gears in a transfer case to lock the front and rear differentials together, so no matter what there is one rear and one front wheel spinning. This is (according to Jeep) called Part Time 4WD. meaning you will only drive with it engaged for a part of the time.

A Full Time 4WD transfer case is something that can be left engaged, Full Time. It will automatically engage when the rear wheels slip or spin, then disengage after a short period of normal driving. so for the most part your driving in 2WD

My Grand Cherokee has both options for Full and Part time 4WD.

these are basic explanations of how they work. hope it helps.
That's what a lot of vehicles have now. Auto engage 4wd basically.
__________________
Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them. - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #18
Fully Optimized
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,390
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

So AWD has a center diff and 4WD doesn't have a center diff?

There's AWD, or 4WD(?), systems with lockable center diffs... and the front/rear diffs too, controlled by a computer to steer torque to the non-spinning wheels.

__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad T410 - i7 620M - 8GB RAM - Crucial M4 120GB SSD - 250GB 2nd drive - Intel HD 3000 GPU - 1440x900 - Windows 7/8
REMENIZ Computers
Remeniz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Daemon Poster
 
winslow33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 861
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

As a general rule; I only used 4WD when i could tell I was losing/lost traction, turn on 4x4, turn it back off when I get traction again.
Now im driving a 2WD mazda pickup, never ran into any problems yet
winslow33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 624
Default Re: Teach me to use my 4 wheel drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remeniz View Post
So AWD has a center diff and 4WD doesn't have a center diff?

There's AWD, or 4WD(?), systems with lockable center diffs... and the front/rear diffs too, controlled by a computer to steer torque to the non-spinning wheels.


what you call a 'center diff' I call a 'transfer case', Unless there is an actual 'differential' in between the front and rear axles. That is something completely different.

The power from the engine goes through the transmission out to a intermediate case then out the back to the rear differential.
but the case has a offset front output yolk that is sent up the the front differential. Whats inside the 'case' is where all the magic happens.

Thou, thinking more about it, there is another configuration, in the above description this is assuming the engine is mounted in the traditional way.
With the engine mounted sideways, in some cases, there is no external transfer case. its built right into the transmission. The AWD Dodge Caravans are like this, the older ones anyway.

basically, AWD is built to run all the time. 4WD is not.
__________________

__________________
Asus M4A88T-M/USB3<>PhenomII X4 965e<>Asus ENGTX460
Seagate 320GB/1TB<>Win7 Ulti 64Bit<>Antec900
SyncMaster 2220WM<>HyperX 16gb<>Cooler Master 600W
detox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0