Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default AT&T Spying on everyone

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Countd...room_1107.html

Quote:
A former technician at AT&T, who alleges that the telecom forwards virtually all of its internet traffic into a "secret room" to facilitate government spying, says the whole operation reminds him of something out of Orwell's 1984.

Appearing on MSNBC's Countdown program, whistleblower Mark Klein told Keith Olbermann that a copy of all internet traffic passing over AT&T lines was copied into a locked room at the company's San Francisco office -- to which only employees with National Security Agency clearance had access -- via a cable splitting device.

"My job was to connect circuits into the splitter device which was hard-wired to the secret room," said Klein. "And effectively, the splitter copied the entire data stream of those internet cables into the secret room -- and we're talking about phone conversations, email web browsing, everything that goes across the internet."

Asked by Olbermann how he knew what was being sent along those particular lines, Klein said it was all part of his former job:

"As a technician, I had the engineering wiring documents, which told me how the splitter was wired to the secret room," Klein continued. "And so I know that whatever went across those cables was copied and the entire data stream was copied..."

According to Klein, that information included internet activity about Americans.

"We're talking about domestic traffic as well as international traffic," Klein said. " And that's what got me upset to begin with."

Previous Bush administration claims that only international communications were being intercepted aren't accurate, Klein says.

"I know the physical equipment, and I know that statement is not true," he added. "It involves millions of communications, a lot of it domestic communications that they're copying wholesale, sweeping up into that secret room."

When Olbermann asked Klein if being involved in the process reminded him of a scene in the film Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the former technician said he had another movie in mind.

"Actually, I'm a little older so my thought was George Orwell's 1984 and here I am forced to connect the big brother machine," he said. "And I felt I was in a funny position, but I needed my job, so I didn't want to make a fuss a the time. But after I retired, I thought about it some more." According to ABC News, Klein believes AT&T has similar operations in place in as many as 20 other sites.

He is in Washington to lobby Congress not to pass a proposed telecom immunity bill, which would provide legal immunity to companies who secretly participated in NSA warrantless eavesdropping programs. Some of the nation's largest telecommunications companies are currently facing an array of class-action lawsuits related to the matter.
http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Countd...room_1107.html

wow...

evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy
Default Re: AT&T Spying on everyone

damn...

i have AT & T phone service, too... the sons of b***hes..

My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Same here. But I wonder if AT&T is the only company that does this.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbspapp View Post
Same here. But I wonder if AT&T is the only company that does this.
probably, but they catch all the traffic from the US
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

and another civil liberty you americans have lost. now you cant even make a phone call without bush and his thugs knowing it
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Cabbs

Basically another reason why I want to move to Canada.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
and another civil liberty you americans have lost. now you cant even make a phone call without bush and his thugs knowing it
Not everyone has AT&T...Verizon here
Old 11-13-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to FlightSimBoy

I wonder, could AT & T get in to your emails and crap if you have their phone service, but have Verizon DSL?
My Computer: eMachines T5226 - Intel Pentium D Dual Core @ 3 GHz - Diamond Viper Radeon HD3870 OC Edition with 1 GB GDDR3 VRAM - 4 GB PQi Turbo DDR2-533 RAM - Corsair 650W PSU with 52A on single rail - TSSTcorp DVD-DL+-RW combo drive - Lite-on 52x CD-RW burner - Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - Logitech z5300e speakers - WinFast TV Tuner - Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. eBay name: Flightsimboy304
FlightSimBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #9
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner

Qwest here.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightSimBoy View Post
I wonder, could AT & T get in to your emails and crap if you have their phone service, but have Verizon DSL?
Only if you ever used your e-mail and crap over your phone...