Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM   #41
Omnipotent One
 
Atomic Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 11,161
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
YEAH BABY!!!!! STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

We stand alone as the winners of 6 championships!!!!
Yea, but the 49ers have a better winning percentage in the Super Bowl .
__________________

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #42
Fully Optimized
 
LukaszR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 2,833
Send a message via MSN to LukaszR
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

wow..
thats kinda funny tho...

i wonder how much business Comcast will be losing after this one.
__________________

__________________
Desktop - DualBoot: Fedora 15/Windows 7 64bit
Netbook - Windows 7 Professional

www.Cyber-Talk.ca League of Legends and Gaming Community
LukaszR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM   #43
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Yea, but the 49ers have a better winning percentage in the Super Bowl .
So?....that makes no difference at all.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #44
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
So?....that makes no difference at all.
Yes it does, it's called Psychological advantage.


if team A has a 100% success rate when entered into a particular game, then they have the psychological advantage over a team that has a 50% or even a 0% success rate in a particular game.

Psychological advantages rarely take into account the actual state of the team that it is either with or against.


a better example would be that if your team had always lost to a particular other team then the other team, regardless of the state of their side, or your side would be expecting to win, you'd be expecting them to win, just because they always do.
this doesn't mean that they will win, just that the team without the psychological advantage will feel more under pressure and be more inclined to make mistakes.
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #45
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
Yes it does, it's called Psychological advantage.


if team A has a 100% success rate when entered into a particular game, then they have the psychological advantage over a team that has a 50% or even a 0% success rate in a particular game.

Psychological advantages rarely take into account the actual state of the team that it is either with or against.


a better example would be that if your team had always lost to a particular other team then the other team, regardless of the state of their side, or your side would be expecting to win, you'd be expecting them to win, just because they always do.
this doesn't mean that they will win, just that the team without the psychological advantage will feel more under pressure and be more inclined to make mistakes.
I'll let you know how they fare the next time the 49ers are in the super bowl.......

And I meant that compared to the Steelers' 6 championships a 100% win percentage means nothing. So you've won every super bowl you've been in? You have only won 5.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #46
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

OK,

so the first time I posted I hadn't actually gone and looked at what the records are...
but now I can say it looks like this
stealers
super bowl wins
Six (75, 76, 79, 80, 06, 09)
super bowl losses
one (96)

49ers
superbowl wins
Five (82, 85, 89, 90, 95)
superbowl losses
(none)

so the stealers have a 6:7 (85%) success rate (at this one game)
49ers have a 5:5 (100%) success rate (at this one game)

If you look at the past as a good measure of the future,
if the stealers make it to the superbowl next year they have a 15% chance of loosing,
if the 49ers make it to the superbowl, historically speaking they have a 0% chance of loosing.

thus the 49ers have a better advantage psychologically.

if you say that the stealers are better as they've made it to superbowl more times, then that would also suggest that the dallas cowboys are better as they've made it 8 times, (though they've lost it 3 times 62% success ratio)

or you could say that the Stealers have won it six times, though that's only one more than the 49ers.

when you look at chances of getting to the superbowl there have been 43 superbowls,
Stealers have been there 7:43 (16%)
49ers have been there 5:43 (11%)

so stealers have an edge there, but the percentage gap is smaller, (with only 4% difference you can't really base a statistically significant psychological advantage like you can with a 15% difference in win ratio...

Of course, that's only a psychological advantage, and stats are only good if you're making top-trump cards.

the real advantage would be shown in how each team performed in the season before hand. and that would give a more significant psychological advantage)
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #47
Golden Master
 
Tommy Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 8,463
Send a message via Yahoo to Tommy Boy
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
OK,

so the first time I posted I hadn't actually gone and looked at what the records are...
but now I can say it looks like this
stealers
super bowl wins
Six (75, 76, 79, 80, 06, 09)
super bowl losses
one (96)

49ers
superbowl wins
Five (82, 85, 89, 90, 95)
superbowl losses
(none)

so the stealers have a 6:7 (85%) success rate (at this one game)
49ers have a 5:5 (100%) success rate (at this one game)

If you look at the past as a good measure of the future,
if the stealers make it to the superbowl next year they have a 15% chance of loosing,
if the 49ers make it to the superbowl, historically speaking they have a 0% chance of loosing.

thus the 49ers have a better advantage psychologically.

if you say that the stealers are better as they've made it to superbowl more times, then that would also suggest that the dallas cowboys are better as they've made it 8 times, (though they've lost it 3 times 62% success ratio)

or you could say that the Stealers have won it six times, though that's only one more than the 49ers.

when you look at chances of getting to the superbowl there have been 43 superbowls,
Stealers have been there 7:43 (16%)
49ers have been there 5:43 (11%)

so stealers have an edge there, but the percentage gap is smaller, (with only 4% difference you can't really base a statistically significant psychological advantage like you can with a 15% difference in win ratio...

Of course, that's only a psychological advantage, and stats are only good if you're making top-trump cards.

the real advantage would be shown in how each team performed in the season before hand. and that would give a more significant psychological advantage)
It's Steelers, not stealers. They're from Pittsburgh PA, "The Steel City", known for it's steel industry.

Anyway, you're thinking too much, it's football man, past records mean nothing, it's all about how you are playing currently and just because the 49ers have never lost in the super bowl doesn't mean that when/if they get there again they are guaranteed to win. Especially considering they haven't even been in the playoffs since 2002, and the last time they won a super bowl was in 95 when Steve Young was playing. He's long gone and the 4 and 9ers haven't done much since.
__________________
When all else fails...Ham Radio!

I still have the same old HP DV9700T laptop I've had for years...still kickin'
Tommy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #48
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Super Bowl 43

Isn't it always the team that loses the Super Bowl that does terrible the next year? Just the way it goes usually.
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0