Stupid idea?

It's an intersting situation...
however, I'd go with the educating the user option...

sit them down in your shop and explain to them what the source of the problem is.
If necessary visit some sites from their history so you can say to them
"you visited [some site].com and that site had some nasty stuff on it".

sit down with a computer if need be and explain to them how spyware affects their computer,
carry large posters in your shop...

sell people antivirus/spyware/firewall software...
when I say sell I mean offer packages, even free packages and explain clearly the benefits...

Most small town shops get the reputation of a ripoff merchant because they either over sell, over price or just offer a plain crappy service...

break the mould and be the best... the instead of bad reputation you'll get good reputation. even if it does mean a few embarassing conversations with some people in a quiet corner of the shop. -it'll help them in the long run. and they will appreciate that... especially if their constantly spyware filed computer starts to work normally...

Consider this, If you had a car and the fan was broken it wouldn't cool properly, eventually it'd break, if you took it to a garage and they fixed the engine but didn't tell you you needed a new fan that'd be bad service right? simply because they are setting you up for another failure.

Hey, Welcome to the forums :)

I think setting up your own shop would be really good! Go for it!
You see, you'll learn from experience how to fix things. Thats how us humans work, so once you realise how to fix a problem, you can do it after that can't you?

I'm thinking of setting up my own 3D modelling business at home, but I don't know how to model everything in the world that people may ask me. But its just making mistakes, etc that teaches you.

So yeah, go for it!

Hey Charlie77 , Welcome to CF...Enjoy your stay !!

anim_welcome_002.gif

thats a really great idea. in fact its a wonderful idea. i cannot stand all the large corporations in this area ripping people off. i like to give my advice and help for free whenever i can, but i would love to have my own computer shop, with real computer lovers, not some retarded "geek squad" ( not saying people on there are retarded, just saying its annoying).

I think its a good idea, remember also to give them the advice so the problem doesn't come back again, practice 'safe computing' and advise your customers to do the same, therefore when they come back, you ask the question, was you following the advice I gave you, using a firewall, adware removers, virus checkers etc. If they say no, then well you have that to back up it up, and trust me, they will come back for other problems then, and as you know the very nature of computers, there is always gonna need the people with the know how!!!

Good luck

Back
Top Bottom