Stuff that scares you with computers...

~Darkseeker~

Fully Optimized
I've realised lately, that there are alot of things that really sh!t me up when im working on machines, the best two probably are:

- Installing/updating GPU drivers and you forget that's running in the background while looking for other drivers or w/e, and the screen flicks off for a few seconds while the drivers go in, i keep going SH-... oh it's just the drivers going in.

- When UAC is still on in a fresh install, and it blanks the whole screen for a split second after you've just typed in MSCONFIG.

when I get strange popups from internet sites, I keep thinking its a virus !!!

Ive had quite a few in my time

I've been using these contraptions for so many years that there really isn't anything that fazes me anymore. I keep pretty decent backups so even a hard drive crash isn't that big of a deal to recover from.

This one time I installed a new PSU (which, it turned out was faulty...). I turned the machine on, and there was an almighty *CRACK*, as a fairly hefty capacitor exploded. I didn't really like that.

In term of software, nothing bothers me that much. You can almost always fix it :)

Nothing really fazes me now, been working with PCs for about 15 years or so :)

Nothing really fazes me now, been working with PCs for about 15 years or so
This will be true for most people (including me) - of course you still get stuff that makes you scratch your head every so often but nothing that's actually scary. Anything hardware side is pretty easy to replace, anything software side is fixable even if it is a hassle.

Humm, when my friends laptop ate the CD with my A-Level art on it.... it wouldn't read it or eject it (it didn't have a CD draw, just a slot). Had to persuade her to let me take it apart to get the disc out cos it was due in next morning.
That was scary, still it is to her credit that she trusted me to do it.

Humm, when my friends laptop ate the CD with my A-Level art on it.... it wouldn't read it or eject it (it didn't have a CD draw, just a slot). Had to persuade her to let me take it apart to get the disc out cos it was due in next morning.
That was scary, still it is to her credit that she trusted to do it.
I think she should've been more scared from day 1 that she hadn't made any other backups... geez when our final year project was due in we had it burnt to 4 separate discs, stored on each of our home PCs and on the university's fileshare. "The computer crashed" or similar excuse may have worked 15 years ago, but in this day and age there really is no merit to that excuse. Just keep backups! I can scarcely believe how many people don't when they a) know the consequences and b) everyone tells them to...

Back
Top Bottom