Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #31
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
While I can show respect to your beliefs, you need to understand that there are thousands of religions out there. To say your religion is "the one" is the type of arrogance that gets this country in heat.

Here are some facts, believe what you want though:

The Catholic church has added more amendments to what they believe over the past 500-700 years, it's mind-blowing. As science progresses and proves without a doubt that things are BS, the church changes the story to fit the facts.

The bible is NOT the same print that it was 2,000 years ago. It was written in Aramaic, then Hebrew, then translated (faintly) into several languages. Then was edited by King James... THAT is what we read today.

So because of this, who is to say that it's fact, and not what King James wanted to be there? It was originally written in Aramaic, yet people today think that nothing could have been lost in translation from a language that has not been spoken in a few thousand years.

God flooded the Earth... Was it fresh water? That would kill all Ocean life. Was it Salt Water? That would kill all plant life on the earth, and not allow any to grow to this day. And where would it all go afterwards?
Bold one: Wrong religion.

Bold two: Because; You can literally go and translate it for yourself. Not from the "king James" version but the original text. You will need to know Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek though =P

Bold three: If you say "okay maybe he did flood the world". Then don't you think that he could also remove all that water within a blink of an eye? Not to say he did, he prolonged the removal.
Whose to say that the water could not have been what is called "brackish". Where fresh water meets salt water. The water does not have to be all the same, it could have been salt in some areas and fresh in others.
__________________

__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 09:59 AM   #32
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Brackish water doesnt support full on ocean life, and it can still kill plant life.

Wrong religion? I don't think so.

If it's so easy to go and translate the original, why do we continue to use the King James? Not that King James was the first one to change the Bible.
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #33
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,006
Default Re: Still don't believe?

ok. so usually I probably wouldn't wipe by backside with the Sun newspaper. but...

it is a professional news source.

they didn't make up the fact that a load of wood was found on top of a mountain.
they didn't make up the fact that the people who found it (whom are religious) are claiming it to be an ark, -the Ark.


in answer to the original question
Quote:
Stil don't believe?
Yes.

it's going to take a lot more than a load of fossilised wood to make me believe that there is a supreme being...

especially now when you're talking about the clergy almost rotten to the core. the pope was in the hitler youth, preists and bishops are appologising left right and centre to people over the fact that they were abusing young children.

surely if there was ever a time that society was so broken, wrong and in need of being wiped out so that you could start again and build a new better society, this is the time!



and, about the wrong religion comment above, since the catholic church was the original church as founded by Mr Christ, I think that ammendments to the version of avents by that same church likely are important...

(of course there are those that believe that the catholic church was the original church, and is now only the same in name as the orthadox church is the only, well... orthadox and original Christian church).
__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #34
Fully Optimized
 
vampist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 2,404
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Brackish water doesnt support full on ocean life, and it can still kill plant life.

Wrong religion? I don't think so.

If it's so easy to go and translate the original, why do we continue to use the King James? Not that King James was the first one to change the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
and, about the wrong religion comment above, since the catholic church was the original church as founded by Mr Christ, I think that ammendments to the version of avents by that same church likely are important...

(of course there are those that believe that the catholic church was the original church, and is now only the same in name as the orthadox church is the only, well... orthadox and original Christian church).
Similar bible, different beliefs. In other words, different religion.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...nd_Catholicism
Some of you may know it as "Follower of Christ".

Also to the it's so easy comment: It's not easy, and not everyone chooses to use the king James version. Also, I did some talking and I the truth is that King James didn't translate the "king James" version.

There are many translations of the bible.
King James version.
Living water for those who thirst.
The new international version.
Darby Translation.

The list goes on. So to say that it's king Jame's views would just not be true. When so many people have translated it from the original and resulted in the same.. story/text/theory. What ever you wish to call it.
__________________
Everyone's Favorite Turd xD
ET: "Phone home!"
Geek: "ping 127.0.0.1"

"If that guy knew half the $h*t that I know, his fuzzy little head would explode. " - Matthew Farrell
vampist is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #35
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Still don't believe?

King James was a wise old coot that just saw the need for a uniform book for the churches in his kingdom to follow. He saw that churches were adhering to different documents as their version of what they called The Bible. This varied from church to church in the kingdom. There was too much variation in the doctrines being followed. To put it in modern terms, it was a royal clusterf**k.
So being the wise and intelligent man that he was, he made a Royal Decree that the church scholars get to the court and bring their scribes, get up with the court scholars and their scribes and produce a uniform book that would be given to all the churches in his kingdom.
It took a while to finally decide what went in to what is now known as the King James Bible. There were last minute editing as well as major translating errors and just plain human error when making copies.
But in the end, King James had done the impossible. He had an idea that would bring forth uniformity in the churches in his kingdom. Thus a peace of sorts in that the bickering between the churches would finally settle down.
His name was tacked on because it was his vision that laid the foundation for its creation.
For those of you that would rather look at it on TV than bother to do any research, Discovery Channel has an program that goes in to a lot more detail about King James involvement.
setishock is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #36
Site Team
 
berry120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England, UK
Posts: 3,425
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Quote:
The bible is NOT the same print that it was 2,000 years ago. It was written in Aramaic, then Hebrew, then translated (faintly) into several languages. Then was edited by King James... THAT is what we read today.
The translation argument is often used as the bible being inaccurate - but in reality that's not the case. The discovery of the dead sea scrolls proved a while back that the translations are actually uncannily accurate for being translated so many times, not the opposite. And as pointed out above, very few people still use the King James version these days, it's most definitely not what everyone uses. My personal favourite is the ESV - very accurate and lots of notes. Brilliant study Bible.

Quote:
I didn't read the article. Just the title.
In that case it may give you a bit more background to what people are talking about if you read the article!

Quote:
Not only that, the Bible has been tailered to many particular writer's fancy.
Evidence of this? Yes the different books are written in different styles, but that doesn't mean they've been tailored to whatever particular writers want to say - they're just put across from different perspectives. It doesn't make any one of them wrong.

Quote:
And you have to be off your rocker to take all the stories literally. It's a book of parables.
A parable is a brief, succinct story, in prose or verse, that illustrates a moral or religious lesson.

Come one man, that is even said in the Bible.
The latter definition perhaps, but if you can find me the bit in the bible that says "you're off your rocker if you're taking all these stories literally" please let me know!

Quote:
According to Bible thumpers, the Earth was made 12,000 years ago. How do they come by this figure? They basically add up the ages of all the people in the Bible and figure it out from there... Dinosaurs were just a joke from God then right? To test our faith?
Kind of on topic, you might want to read this. Brings some very interesting points to light and answers your question about dinosaurs!

Quote:
Here's another Bible story, Cain and Able, Cain kills Able. Cain is forced to walk around the Earth in shame with a mark on his forehead so no one would kill him... Oh wait, Adam and Even are the only people. Except Cain's hundred some brothers and sisters from Eve. That makes sense.
If you factor in the average age at that point in the bible, it makes a lot more sense. You're only looking at half the story there!

Quote:
Not to mention that a very similar tale is in mythology... So it was used to teach a lesson there as well. It's not meant to be taken literally.
What similar tale? How similar? Where in mythology did it come from? You're branding a lot of loose statements around here without any specifics - makes it very difficult to verify what you're saying.

And lastly:
Quote:
God flooded the Earth... Was it fresh water? That would kill all Ocean life. Was it Salt Water? That would kill all plant life on the earth, and not allow any to grow to this day. And where would it all go afterwards?
Another example where if you take the Bible literally your point falls down. A bit of Googling will soon bring up answers to those questions and many more, this article is a fine example.

Contrary to what you're saying, if you actually study the bible diligently you'll find that a lot more adds up than you seem to think at the moment. No, I'm not saying we should take everything in the Bible literally without questioning it at all - but the reasons you've shown for not taking things literally have been completely flawed!
__________________
Save the whales, feed the hungry, free the mallocs.
berry120 is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
Daemon Poster
 
madanchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 529
Default Re: Still don't believe?

all i think to myself is that, a person once write it, a standard human being and not Jesus (as jesus isnt standard :P)
__________________
6950 flashed to 6970 Oc:880cpu 1300memory,2x2gb ddr3 1066,phenomII x4 955 3.2ghz,Tuniq hsf,750w psu,1tb f2 32mb 7200rpm,2tb f4 64mb 7200rpm,cyborg V7, cyborg V3, X-fi creative sounfblaster, Audiophile M-audio,Xclio-windtunnel,Tb7300 graphics tablet
madanchi is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM   #38
Fully Optimized
 
Grantofhell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,762
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
The Catholic church has added more amendments to what they believe over the past 500-700 years, it's mind-blowing. As science progresses and proves without a doubt that things are BS, the church changes the story to fit the facts.
Name a few. I'd love to get into the details with you on this, but you need to show your examples and sources. (even if you are your own source!)
__________________
RD-PC -//- i7 950 // Evga x58 SLI // 3x2 OCZ PC3-12800 // 2x Evga GTX470 // Corsair HX850 // SilverStone TJ07
Grantofhell is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #39
Guru
 
JogaBonito1502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: U.S.
Posts: 7,841
Default Re: Still don't believe?

My opinion: Religion is rubbish.
JogaBonito1502 is offline  
Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #40
Omnicide now.
 
foothead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My own personal hell
Posts: 10,014
Default Re: Still don't believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
My opinion: Religion is rubbish.

This. The world would actually be better off without it.

As far as the op, just because they found a wooden structure on a mountain does not make it noahs ark. It is most likely a shrine. There are a number of these in turkey, built to resemble noahs ark. Also, the first carbon dating came back as 4800 years. Every other attempt to verify this has showed more like 1800. This also backs up the shrine theory.
__________________

foothead is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0