Starting my IT career

kalessi

In Runtime
Im currently finishing up classes at my local community college...I'm taking network courses and unsure of my future.AAS in networking..did i chose the right path? Will i get a job in IT? Do i have the knowledge to do the job? I have taking alot of computer classes but I still dont feel confident in going into the real world in IT....I mean i love computers and understand them pretty good but dont know if i know enough and if i have the troubleshooting skills needed for this field..i guess i just have to go and give a shot but in the mean time i have anxiety and felt like venting on this forum lol..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Computer Forums mobile app

Welcome!
Its entirely up to you to decide if you are ready or not. I find that experience is the best way to know if you are good at somthing. There are others here who have been working in the field for quite some time now, so they will be able to give you more info than I can, but you sound like an intelligent and reasonable person to me, so I think that you will do fine. :)

I would much rather trust someone who has a bit of doubt, as they are more likely to be careful, than someone who is overly cocky. Just my 2 cents.

If its I.T. you love....then your in the right place......

But what exactly do you like in IT? Networking only? PC Support? Databases? Web Development? Here in trinidad all IT professionals usually recommend starting with the CompTia A+ Entry Level IT training and examination. It's an internationally acclaimed Organisation write the exam and take the training visit their site at Information Technology (IT) Industry & Association | CompTIA and look at their certification paths.

Networking Giants usually consider cisco vendor neutral certs CCENT ; CCNA; CCNP

Probably a little of years later - Microsoft certs like MCSA....

Your coming off college and need experience, i hope you have good knowledge on software and hardware support if you do then forget the comptia courses and focus on getting experience

Last edited:
There are plenty of entry level tech positions in the world that you will be able to fill. I started almost 7 years ago and felt in the same position as you. Worked for 1 year at an entry level tech support position where I would make house calls to help people and then towards the end of that year got to take on 1 or 2 business clients. At that point, a position for the tech coordinator opened at my old school and so I applied, was interviewed, and got hired. Been here ever since. I was a lot worried when I was fresh out of college but that year of experience really helped.

What I find is that there is rarely a situation you'll run into that someone else hasn't been in before. Google and the internet are your best friends. Don't feel like you have to know all the information about everything when it's all available at your fingertips. That was the hardest thing for me to learn. I was (am still am sometimes) doubting myself and my abilities but so far things have gone smoothly and I've been able to do everything asked of me and more. If I need help a search on google will likely give me the answer or at least lead me to it.

Don't be afraid to ask for help from someone who's in the business or who is working with you. Again, don't pretend to know everything - especially when you don't.

Again, don't pretend to know everything - especially when you don't.
Could not agree more. Just when you think that you know everything, the world of computers (no matter which field) can cause you to shoot yourself in the foot. I learned that after years of studying and practicing malware detection and removal. No matter what field of computers you go into, you will find that changing tech (in my case, changing phases in how people try to attack you) will force you to learn. With anything computers, you are always learning.

Also, as jmcavali said, do not ever take google for granted. It exists for a reason, and puts most of the internet at your fingertips. (Protip: A majority of the most prolific black hat hackers ever caught admit to using google as one of their resources, and a few admit to using it as their main one.)

Back
Top Bottom