Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Beta Member

Smile Starting A Local Home Based Business

Hi,

Recently I built my first custom PC and I really enjoyed doing it. I would like to do it again, so then I had an idea. I would start a small (not expecting tons of orders) business building custom PC'S for people in my area. I would ask for what their budget would be and if they want any specific components. I would also take the money first (including labor for my building) and then build it and give it to the customer. A few questions I have are; Are there any laws involved whilst doing this? I don't want to get into trouble. And is there a legal age to do this (i'm only 13)

Thanks & Any Advice Appreciated!

krustykobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Starting A Local Home Based Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustykobb View Post
Hi,

Recently I built my first custom PC and I really enjoyed doing it. I would like to do it again, so then I had an idea. I would start a small (not expecting tons of orders) business building custom PC'S for people in my area. I would ask for what their budget would be and if they want any specific components. I would also take the money first (including labor for my building) and then build it and give it to the customer. A few questions I have are; Are there any laws involved whilst doing this? I don't want to get into trouble. And is there a legal age to do this (i'm only 13)

Thanks & Any Advice Appreciated!
Yes, there are laws involved. To do it legally you'll need things like a business license, insurance, business type bank accounts/lines of credit, some type of book-keeping software... Way too much for a 13 year old to be worrying about unless we're talking about a child prodigy of Doogie Howser like proportions. You should just offer your services suggesting hardware to purchase and then putting it all together after the customer orders it and receives it. You're going to have to wait until you're done with the build before receiving any money, though. No one in their right mind would give several hundred to well over a thousand dollars (or I guess pounds in your case) to a 13 year old without checking out the finished product first. It's cool that you want to work on computers, but you'll have to keep it in the realm of possibility. Maybe start by charging for upgrade installations (RAM, video cards and such) and then after you get a few of those under your belt, someone may want you to build a complete system for them.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Solid State Member

Default Re: Starting A Local Home Based Business

once you are up and running start a web page with pic's of all your build ( EVERYTHING) that way when some ask what you have done instend of confusing them with tech talk, you can just be like look at my website. with that route u also have record of everything you've done to protect yourself from people and there stupiedness
tylerolso is offline   Reply With Quote