Starting a business

Long story short.
you can do online "journalism", writing blog articles. but don't expect to get rich off it.

Don't expect to get rich quick, period. Especially without putting in a bunch of hours and hard work.

blogger give away free blog hosting.
they are also pretty fine about letting you host ads on your blog.
Didn't know that!

But as root pointed out, still not something you're going to earn any money on, realistically.

FWIW, I sort of ventured down this road once in the past, around 5-6 years ago - a friend and I started a technology site and wrote about various topics, some of the content was great, some was controversial (always good for generating views) and some was a bit mediocre. It was more of an experiment rather than anything we hoped to make money off. We aggressively promoted it, got on the front page of digg twice (back when digg was huge) and managed to get it up to, at its peak, just under a thousand hits a day. We spent a lot of time carefully using keywords to target appropriate adverts to our audience, and followed several guides for putting them in prominent pages where people would be likely to click on them.

In the couple of months we were doing this, we raised something like just under £10 in advertising revenue - and that was a lot of work.

Thanks for crushing my hopes :p

Only one way to find out in business if you are going to be successful & that is give it a go.

I had a small part time business years ago & people said I would fail but in the end it was profitable enough to help me pay off my mortgage early.

Do not be deterred.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom