Speaker help

Istonian

Daemon Poster
I have this speaker that I am not using and my and a friend are trying to make it into a bass speaker. Does anyone know how to do this. I think you cut off a part of the tweeter but im sure, also does anyone know how to fix a blown speaker?

ummm, you want to make it a bass speaker huh. I wouldn't bother unless you don't mind screwing up the speaker. As for fixing a blown speaker it depends on what part is broken and what type of speaker (many are cheaper to replace than to spend on parts).

You could get hold of a cross over to filter out anything more than say > 100hz. I assume its quite a powerfull driver?

Yea it is. We cut the treble tweeter and it sounds a lot better. Anything else I could do to it? The speakers are beyond repair. Melted coil so im gonna get new ones.

Oh, your talking about a boxed speaker set, I thought you were talking about a coaxial set (tweets on the mid). That would be easy enough to get rid of the tweet. But if the coil is "melted" your prolly better off getting new ones.

right-o...

firstly, what speaker is blown? the sub or the tweeter?

the best thing you can do to make a sub is to actually take the speaker out of the box it's currently in, and make a new box.

there are several designs that you can use, but the best box for your means is most likely a ported box.

basically it's a box sealed, with the exception of two holes, one hole is filed by the speaker, the other hole has a tube in it, the length and width of that tube dictates what frequency is predominant.

(yes, hard to believe but a simple plastic tube attached to a box can amplify specific frequencies, this means that as the frequency response of the driver rolls off the tube (port) can amplify the bass frequencies, meaning a standard driver that starts to roll off at perhaps 50Hz (not exactly bass), the lower frequiencies can be amplified perhaps down to 10Hz (-extra bassy).

I suggest that you have a look at a program called winISD

(also what speaer do you have -each speaker has theile-small parameters that dictate what it can and can't do it's frequency response etc). you can usually find that information from the googling a bit.

when you say tweeter, is it a dome tweeter? does it come apart (sometimes they are sealed).
if it comes apart it's a piece of cake to replace the voice coil
http://www.theelectronicsshop.co.uk/Spares/voice coils.htm#MRD-480
there's a place that sells new coils.

if it's the bass woofer part of the speaker that's blown, speakers can e re-conned, but honestly, unless you are talking about rare or vintage speakers, (like I currently have some original vintage g12's -guitarists will know, they are from the 70's) and I've repaired them because I want thm to be as original as possible...

however, if you're talking a fairly cheap speaker to start with, then you're probably better off buying a new driver.
hope that helps, I'm off to bed now, will post more in the morning if you want.

(I have a cottage industry building speakers and amplifiers in myspare time, and am more than glad to share this skill).

Back
Top Bottom