Sony SAW Speakers & Amp

Buy a dock and use that headphone jack instead. It's much better than the iPod's headphone jack.

Got 2 more Sony SAW Speakers (200W each), they are slightly smaller than the 700W ones but with all 4 together its amazing. The desk needs rearranging as well, too cluttered now, also the smaller silver speakers are no longer connected and will go soon. Here is the new setup:

SDC11229.jpg

Got 2 more Sony SAW Speakers (200W each), they are slightly smaller than the 700W ones but with all 4 together its amazing. The desk needs rearranging as well, too cluttered now, also the smaller silver speakers are no longer connected and will go soon. Here is the new setup:

I think you're overlooking things. I really doubt they're rated at 700 watts each. I'd look in the manual again.

Hi again, I think I'm problems with this system now. I decided to turn this up really loud yesterday and when I turn the volume up to 8/40 it starts to distort, but all the speakers distort at this point even though the bigger two are more powerful. Is the amplifier clipping? I found out the amp was made in 1988, is it too old for these speakers?

I think you're overlooking things. I really doubt they're rated at 700 watts each. I'd look in the manual again.

Yeah theirs no way in hell the sony speakers are 700W, putting that amount of power into something so small would result in nice little piles of melted metal. And with the whole amp efficency matter, theirs a good chance you'd overload circuts.

Hi again, I think I'm problems with this system now. I decided to turn this up really loud yesterday and when I turn the volume up to 8/40 it starts to distort, but all the speakers distort at this point even though the bigger two are more powerful. Is the amplifier clipping? I found out the amp was made in 1988, is it too old for these speakers?

No amp is "too old" as the technology hasn't changed dramatically, even though modern amplifiers do have the advantage of being much lighter and power efficent, which are a big yay if you have to carry them around alot. Since your amplifier isn't too old it's a modern Class AB likely.

Your doing some things wrong though.

-I don't know exactly what your amp is, but assuming its' a stero amplifier, hooking up two speakers to the same output isn't a bright idea. I don't know the model, so I'm making assumptions here. Lets say the resistance of each speaker is 8 ohms, and the amp is meant to be driven at an 8 ohm load, hooking up two speakers will reduce this to a 4 ohm load, putting further stress on the amp.

-Having two speakers hooked up like that, means they will recieve the same amount of power. Your small speakers likely have a far less power handling, meaning that you will start distorting them far before the larger speakers reach the point where they cannot handle more power, making your entire speaker setup quiter.

-The posistioning of your speakers sucks, the audio quality will be terrible from where your sitting, as your too close to those speakers. You seem to be at a 45 degree angle from the speakers, which will result in a very different sound than having them pointed at you.

-Your going to overheat your "amp" running at high power levels.

I found the manual for the big two speakers, they are 324Watts each, so 648 Watts, so very close to 700 watts and they aren't small, they are HUGE. Plus they make the Logitech Z5500 look small and that is 505W RMS.

Anyway, I'm not hooking up two speakers into the same socket, the amp has sockets for 4 speakers and is therefore designed for 4 speakers. The amp can take up to 16 ohms which is exactly what those 4 speakers together use. They are also no longer on that desk, I have completely rearranged the room. But I think its weird that the bigger two sony ones are distorting at the same time as the smaller sony ones, thats why I think something is up. It doesn't matter whether I have just 2 speaker in, or all 4,it distorts at the same point. Also the amp is a "Denon PMA-520", it was made in 1988 and those speakers were very high end in 2000, thats why I thought it was too old. I also have some brand new small 450W speakers and they can outblast all 4 big ones above, thats why I also think something is wrong.

Here is the back of the amp by the way, shows the 4 speaker sockets

SDC11324.jpg

I found the manual for the big two speakers, they are 324Watts each, so 648 Watts, so very close to 700 watts and they aren't small, they are HUGE.

I believe those are peak ratings, not RMS ratings. I would take them with a grain of salt.

Plus they make the Logitech Z5500 look small and that is 505W RMS.

You don't add up RMS ratings. That's what Logitech did in order to attain such a high number.

The amp can take up to 16 ohms which is exactly what those 4 speakers together use.

What is the impedance of each of those speakers?

...and they aren't small, they are HUGE.

Size does not determine everything. Just because it's big, doesn't mean it's better.

Back
Top Bottom