Sony SAW Speakers & Amp

I have been searching for hours and I can't find ho many watts they are. I got a copy of the manual and it didn't state how many watts they are either, I don't understand why Sony would make it so difficult for you to find out. Also if the Amp isn't good enough does it just mean they wont be able to reach their full potential or they won't work a all?

EDIT: I know someone who has the Sony SAW SSXB60 speakers which are 200W and they are slightly smaller speakers.

If your amp isn't good enough then they won't go loud, you might be dissapointed with the bottom end or a mix of the two.

They're a complex 4 way speaker that needs a fairly hefty amp to drive them. They'll work regardless. The amp in the system these speakers came with comprise of some high power IC's and a bass boost circuit to enhance the low end and was tuned for these speakers.

The rule is this: You can never go wrong with an amp more powerful than the speakers.

If you turn up a small amp thats running high power speakers, the amp will start to distort and its the distortion that kills speakers.

I think they're rated at about 350W RMS each!

If your amp isn't good enough then they won't go loud, you might be dissapointed with the bottom end or a mix of the two.

They're a complex 4 way speaker that needs a fairly hefty amp to drive them. They'll work regardless. The amp in the system these speakers came with comprise of some high power IC's and a bass boost circuit to enhance the low end and was tuned for these speakers.

The rule is this: You can never go wrong with an amp more powerful than the speakers.

If you turn up a small amp thats running high power speakers, the amp will start to distort and its the distortion that kills speakers.

I think they're rated at about 350W RMS each!

350W each?!?! that's insane :p Thanks for the help.

EDIT: While were are discussing this, to plug them into my desktop PC, I have a converter (3mm jack to RCA), will plugging that into the amp work? I also plan to put one either side of my LCD monitor, will the magnets wreck my screen?

AFAIK, LCD's arnt affected by magnets, so you should be OK with that. That's the way I have hooked my amp up to my PC, and it works fine.

Enjoy the speakers! :D

Great thanks! Although what about the HDD in the PC :S

EDIT: Also using that 3mm - RCA converter lead, would an iPod/MP3 player work if the amp is good enough, or would it distort anyway?

350W each?!?! that's insane :p Thanks for the help.

EDIT: While were are discussing this, to plug them into my desktop PC, I have a converter (3mm jack to RCA), will plugging that into the amp work? I also plan to put one either side of my LCD monitor, will the magnets wreck my screen?

As J03 stated above these 'huge speakers' :D are fine next to your monitor. Just make sure you use a 'line level' input - Aux, Tuner, TV, one of the Tape Loops - and not the turntable/phono input.

And the HDD's will be fine magnetically. The low frequency vibrations from the speakers though....

Someone else can answer that.

Yeah, As Remeniz says the low frequency vibrations could be not so good. If they are rattling your eardrums, think about what else they might be destroying!:- allthough i've never noticed any problems with my speakers/HDD.

Make sure you have a wide desk :D

Many professionals buy amplifiers that are rated twice the RMS rating of the speaker.

If you have a speaker that's rated 200 watts RMS, it's safe to say you'll need an amplifier that can provide 400 watts of clean power. Remember, you're more likely to damage your speakers by under powering rather than over powering.

However, not everyone needs a powerful amplifier. A safe rule would be to use common sense. Don't be stupid and turn the dial all the way. You're likely to hit your amplifiers peak at the 12 o'clock position, or at 0dB. Anything above could result in clipping.

They have arrived! They are the biggest speakers I haveseen in my life!!! The only thing i there is lots of dust behind the speakers grille, any idea how I would clean it out? I'll upload a photo soon too.

They have arrived! They are the biggest speakers I haveseen in my life!!! The only thing i there is lots of dust behind the speakers grille, any idea how I would clean it out? I'll upload a photo soon too.

lol!!!

Click on this link.... then click on one of the first two images.

Click on one of the images to enlarge it. It will show you an exploded view of the speakers.

Back
Top Bottom