Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2007, 03:45 PM   #1
Golden Master
 
G35x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,474
Default Someone Help Me Out

Alright well besides the medical field, I know there has to be a good computer major that can also make 80-100k a year..I'm applying to colleges soon, but plan on doing medical, but really think something computer related would be the best..I can do 6 yrs as a physical therapist, and online it said they start around 60k, thats nothing if you ask me..What are some of the good computer majors that can really make good income, they seem hard to come by..Applying to colleges suck, I don't even know what half the majors mean..
__________________

__________________
Check out my car forum..
altimacoupes.com

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

go to university?
__________________

__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Systems analyst, consultants, system designer---but you need like tons of experience to be in that type of profession. Someone I knew once had a career working in Computer Sales. He goes to different companies and make presentations to those in need of computer system upgrades. He makes almost $90,000 + a year plus commission. It's easy he says, as long as you know your computer hardware, company needs, cost integration, etc. It sounds almost like a consulting type field (which it is), but it's in sales. Pretty good chunk of change for teaching a panel of CEO's on how an upgraded computer system can benefit the company. Of course, you'll need to create a portfolio, PowerPoint, Excel, research products, cost, warranty, training, etc., etc.

He owns like two Mercedes Benz (one S-class and one AMG). I went to his house one time awhile back. Yeah, he owns a brand new house too. And all from selling computers...and not earning any kind of college degree.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
88
Fully Optimized
 
88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4,775
Send a message via MSN to 88
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35x View Post
Alright well besides the medical field, I know there has to be a good computer major that can also make 80-100k a year..I'm applying to colleges soon, but plan on doing medical, but really think something computer related would be the best..I can do 6 yrs as a physical therapist, and online it said they start around 60k, thats nothing if you ask me..What are some of the good computer majors that can really make good income, they seem hard to come by..Applying to colleges suck, I don't even know what half the majors mean..
computer engineering will be a garanteed !00k a year or so to start with. But aside from that, if you take computer science in University generally you start relatively low although I do know people that have graduated with a Bachelor of Science in computer science and have started at 60-70k a year. Those are only the lucky ones though...if only i could be so fortunate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
Systems analyst, consultants, system designer---but you need like tons of experience to be in that type of profession. Someone I knew once had a career working in Computer Sales. He goes to different companies and make presentations to those in need of computer system upgrades. He makes almost $90,000 + a year plus commission. It's easy he says, as long as you know your computer hardware, company needs, cost integration, etc. It sounds almost like a consulting type field (which it is), but it's in sales. Pretty good chunk of change for teaching a panel of CEO's on how an upgraded computer system can benefit the company. Of course, you'll need to create a portfolio, PowerPoint, Excel, research products, cost, warranty, training, etc., etc.
that's right, most of the high paying jobs in computers require a number of years of experience but at least it's good to know that if you put your years of experience in aand play your cards right you can be settled into a nice high paying job in no time at all.
__________________
Killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder

Kein Alkohol ist auch keine Lsung!
88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Golden Master
 
G35x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,474
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 View Post
computer engineering will be a garanteed !00k a year or so to start with. But aside from that, if you take computer science in University generally you start relatively low although I do know people that have graduated with a Bachelor of Science in computer science and have started at 60-70k a year. Those are only the lucky ones though...if only i could be so fortunate.



that's right, most of the high paying jobs in computers require a number of years of experience but at least it's good to know that if you put your years of experience in aand play your cards right you can be settled into a nice high paying job in no time at all.
computer engineering? Mind explaining what you do and what not, although its a bit self explanatory..and do you know if this major is offered almost every where, or just at tech schools..thanks
__________________
Check out my car forum..
altimacoupes.com

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

That's a tough major, but you earn a lot of money. You basically design and truobleshoot computers down to the component level!!!! I mean diodes, ICs, busses, things like that. It's really deep. But you'll be well compensated. Oh, yeah, that major is offered everywhere. It's a very popular major at just about any university and trade schools. Computer Engineering.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 13,091
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Being a computer engineer is the one who analyses stuff such as motherboards, CPUs, RAM, etc. It can even create other nmachines, such as coke machines, programable electronics, VCRs, etc.
lhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
G35x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,474
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

hm drexel says that people who graduated from their program earned on average 50k a year..seems a bit low..
__________________
Check out my car forum..
altimacoupes.com

what is up vanilla face
G35x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Ha, that sounds like what IT people start out at, lol.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
borat_sagdiyev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 8,986
Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: Someone Help Me Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35x View Post
hm drexel says that people who graduated from their program earned on average 50k a year..seems a bit low..
dude if you think 50k a year is low, go see what people live on in trailer parks...
__________________

__________________
Core 2 Duo e4500 2.2ghz @ 2.8ghz
evga 650i ultra
2gb 400mhz ram OC'ed to 450
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0