Some questions about colleges...

rakedog

Fully Optimized
Ok, I thought this would be a good place for me to get some of my questions answered, just because so many people visit this site every day.

As you may or may not know, I'm 14 years old, and coming towards the end of my high school freshman year... Basically, I have many questions, but my main being, where can I accurately find REALISTIC requirements for admission to a certain college. I try to look at sites of the college's themselves, but I either a) don't find anything, or b) find a page about the Minimal Requirements, which won't get me anything, they will only make them accualy read my application. What I'm looking for is the realistic (probably based on annual data) about the admission requirements to schools like U.C.L.A. and Cal-Tech.

I'm also wondering (this is mostly for you cali people), what GOOD technology (like Computer Science, engineering, math, etc.) schools are there in California (preferable socal, from L.A. to San Diego). I know one is UCLA, and one is Cal Tech (hard school to get into, which is why I'm asking where I can find the realistic requirements to get into that school).

I think I have a good chance of getting into a top-school. My sophomore setup goes as follows: AP European History, AP Computer Science, Honors Trig/Pre-Calc (this is one year ahead of the normal math level), French 3, Chemistry, Adv. English 10, and Independant PE (Cross Country + Track). As my extra activities, I do sports (just listed them), Piano (by the time I'll be finishing high school, I'll be finishing the California CM piano program, (which means I would have been playing for 12+ years)), Computer Club and the next 3 years, I plan to join the Math Club, and I do a lot of computer study, repair, programming, networking, etc.
As for my Junior year, I plan to take the following classes: AP American History, Honors Physics, AP Calculus AB, French 4 Honors, English 11 Honors, and Speech and Debate, plus sports and all the hobbies listed above.

So for all of you who have bothered to read all of this and analyze it (Which I thank you for), can you please help me out here? And help me understand what kind of position I'm in for these kinds of schools. Thank you so much...

Btw, if you guys wanna talk about your colleges and so on, you can, it will help me learn something, no doubt about that.

Wow nice schedule dude, very impressive, the only classes I have next year that are above just the regular classes, is Honors English and AP World Lit (this is for 10th grade also BTW). You must be really smart if you can get into pre-calculus in 10th grade. And how come it says Trig next to it, I thought triggonometry was the highest math level you could take...

And BTW, how do you keep yourself so motivated. I go to a really good school that gets like the highest scores for everything and stuff so I have the intelligence, but I lack effort. I could be getting the same schedule as you (well maybe not quite as good but ya know what I mean), but I don't try hard enough, how do you keep yourself so motivated?

EDIT: Oh and I don't have a response for your actual question, but isn't ITT-Tech a good technical school? I haven't really looked into them, but I hear it's pretty credible. I wanna go to UCSB or UCLA. ;)

UC Schools aren't really worth the wasted money. I get just as good quality education at a CSU school... but I don't know anything about technical schools as that isn't my speciality so I'm not really much help. Anyways, good luck with everything.

There is really no true answer to your question. Most colleges have their admitting criteria overly stated to look good on paper. As I have found in trying to set up a college funding for my son. You can bet that whatever it is it has been over rated and over priced.
The best bet is to forget about the college admin and look into the fraternity situation.
Contact the fraternities in the college that you are interested in and tell them the same thing and see what all they have to say. But more than anything else listen to what other students are saying about the colleges. This will give you as much gripe as it will praise and you will get a better feel for it.

As a post script for my other post.
I don't know what financial situation you are in, but pay close attention to the parts concerning any administrated financial mishaps. In getting my two older girls into college the accounting office was so screwed up that it kept my oldest from receiving grades and a diploma for almost two years. This was
ucla about 7 years ago. They screwed it up bad and then wouldn't admit it was their mistake till they got sued. And then all the truth came out about what the school was really like. Just due your research.

Wow nice schedule dude, very impressive

Thank you! :D

ou must be really smart if you can get into pre-calculus in 10th grade. And how come it says Trig next to it, I thought triggonometry was the highest math level you could take...

Well, in our school, the order goes like this: Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, Trig/Pre-calc (this is one class), then calc, then statistics.

I'm currently in Adv. Algebra 2, as a freshman.

So lurkswithin, you're suggesting I should try contacting some of the students themselves, and find out what they had to do to get in? I might just try that.

And a general question, as far as tech schools, is Cal-Tech the best tech school in Cali? Just wondering... Because I've heard some really good things about it, and I've heard the competition is rough.. but I'll try to apply, which brings me back to my first post, asking the approximate realistic requirements.

Looking at the CalTech site right now.... Seems like they are more into Biology + Chemistry, rather then computer science... Well, I just need to look harder, see where the perfect as far as computers.... Campus and everything looks nice though.

Why don't you go to a Polytechnic school like I am? They focus more in engineering and technology. I will be taking summer quarter at Cal Poly to hopefully finish up more classes. I have 12 units this quarter, ughhh. Boring classes I still have to take (that's right, core requirements for upper division). My major is Computer Information Systems and the track I'm going into is still undecided. I may go into SYstems Analysis and Design, but then, I like Telecommunications and Networking. Internet Development and Security seem to be the number one thing right now though.

ITT I heard is not all that what they appear to be. I mean, who wants an AA these days? It is obsolete. If you want to go to a technical school, Devry is a good school. They have a 4-year program and graduate courses too.

Here are the General Requirements for Cal Poly. It's a PDF file. Feel free to look at the different departments through the University Catalog online. THey are PDF files too and will lists specific general core classes you need to take along with what GE requirements.

https://www.csupomona.edu/~academic/catalog/gen_edu/index.htm
https://www.csupomona.edu/~academic/catalog/deg_prog/index.htm

Back
Top Bottom