Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Daemon Poster

Default some advice?

so we had to register for our classes next year (senior year) and i was thinking about taking intro to computer programming. I want to major in computer engineering, should i take this class?

| Intel Pentium D 820 2.80GHz(Smithfield) | EVGA 780i | EVGA GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 |4GB Corsair 800 | WDCaviar 250GB | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro(w/ arctic silver 5) | Ultra 500w X-Finity Power Supply w/ 120mm Fan | Antec P180B. | Windows Vista Home Premium | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell Ultrasharp 22" Flatscreen Monitor

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody. 2GB Ram 250GB HDD Leopard
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to _-..zKiLLA..-_
Default Re: some advice?

i suppose so. at my school the prerequisites for it is geometry. so it cant be too hard

Old 03-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Illmatic

Geometry? Wouldn't algebra/calculus be a more appropriate class to prepare for programming?

If you want to major in computer engineering, definitely take this class. Why wouldn't you?
Old 03-13-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
xxcobraxx

Illmatic sounds like he knows his stuff
Old 03-13-2008, 09:53 PM   #5
In Runtime

At my school you need to have taken Algebra 1 Geometry and Algrebra 2 before you can take the computer programming class.

So i wont be able to take it until at least my junior year
Le 3eme oeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to Waldorf PC

Why not? It would give you background so it won't be so surprising when you get into taking college courses. You'll enjoy it much more, as you'll already have a foundation to build on. Go ahead, take the class.
Waldorf PC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:57 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

At my school you have to have at least Algebra 1 for computer science, which is programming I think... So if you are a sophomore and smart enough... I think I signed up for it next year, lol, don't remember what I signed up for, I guess if they put me in something I won't really know...
Jesusfrk611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illmatic View Post
Geometry? Wouldn't algebra/calculus be a more appropriate class to prepare for programming?

If you want to major in computer engineering, definitely take this class. Why wouldn't you?
actually almost no math is required for programming. most of the programmer i know are terrible at math. like college algebra style

but def take the programming course, it will make it so easy in college, as long as youre doing the same type of programming (java, c++ etc) when i took calc in high school calc in college was really easy
My setup: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2Gb A-data ddr800, MSI K9A2 CF 790X, MSI 2600XT T2D512EZ, Samsung DVD-RW, Ultra 500W PS Vseries, Maxtor 80Gb, Aspire Mid-tower case, Windows xp Home, Westinghouse 19" LCD
kostonbleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostonbleeds View Post
actually almost no math is required for programming. most of the programmer i know are terrible at math. like college algebra style
If you take it in college though, you take a lot of math. Example, I'm going for software engineering and I need to go through calc 4 or 5.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:50 PM   #10
In Runtime

from an engineering standpoint yes (and i did just remember thats what he wants) but basic programming no. i have yet to meet a programmer that made it past calc 1

My setup: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2Gb A-data ddr800, MSI K9A2 CF 790X, MSI 2600XT T2D512EZ, Samsung DVD-RW, Ultra 500W PS Vseries, Maxtor 80Gb, Aspire Mid-tower case, Windows xp Home, Westinghouse 19" LCD
kostonbleeds is offline   Reply With Quote