Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #31
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,935
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery View Post
LOL Smart Guy, let's put it this way, it's better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it. ...
Using this logic, there's a bunch of stuff you must carry around with you!

You must carry things like a snake-bite kit, fire extinguisher and a de-fibrillator, since it's better to have those and not need them than to need them and not have them. I would have those on hand before a gun since the odds of needing any one of them is higher than the need for a gun. I personally only have a fire extinguisher on-hand since that's what I consider the most likely of those to actually have a need for.

Unfortunately, the decision to own a gun for HD is based mostly on emotions rather than using a logical thought process.

High Definition guns? Hilarious, Smart Guy.
__________________

strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #32
Fully Optimized
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,852
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Wow, you're anti-gun aren't you?
__________________

__________________
I'm being stalked!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #33
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
Unfortunately, the decision to own a gun for HD is based mostly on emotions rather than using a logical thought process.
What isn't logical about wanting to defend one's self and loved ones? There was nothing emotional driving the people in Detroit who used them successfully in the last year to defend themselves

To me, that's like saying that wearing seat-belts in a car is based mostly on emotions rather than a logical thought process.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:22 AM   #34
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,222
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

*still trying to figure out what HD stands for, other than High Definition*
__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:37 AM   #35
Fully Optimized
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,852
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Home Defense.
__________________
I'm being stalked!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #36
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,935
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery View Post
Wow, you're anti-gun aren't you?
Nope, never been against guns, just believe that guns for home defense are unnecessary.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
Fully Optimized
 
strollin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 1,935
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by celegorm View Post
What isn't logical about wanting to defend one's self and loved ones? There was nothing emotional driving the people in Detroit who used them successfully in the last year to defend themselves

To me, that's like saying that wearing seat-belts in a car is based mostly on emotions rather than a logical thought process.
If there was a large probability that a gun would be needed to defend oneself and loved ones then yes, it would make logical sense. However, the fact that the need to defend oneself or family is so rare an event is what makes it illogical to go out and buy a gun for that reason.

You feel that having a gun for defense and wearing seat belts in a car are the same thing. However, the odds are FAR, FAR greater that you will be involved in a car accident in your lifetime while the odds that you will need to defend yourself with a gun are extremely rare. That's what makes one of the decisions logical while the other is purely emotional.

Someone living in Detroit may have a valid reason for owning a gun for self-defense since crime is extremely high there but for most Americans that is simply not the case.

I'd bet that just about everyone on this forum knows someone (perhaps themselves) who have been in a serious car accident yet few on this board know anyone that needed to use a gun in self-defense.
strollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:39 PM   #38
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
If there was a large probability that a gun would be needed to defend oneself and loved ones then yes, it would make logical sense. However, the fact that the need to defend oneself or family is so rare an event is what makes it illogical to go out and buy a gun for that reason.

You feel that having a gun for defense and wearing seat belts in a car are the same thing. However, the odds are FAR, FAR greater that you will be involved in a car accident in your lifetime while the odds that you will need to defend yourself with a gun are extremely rare. That's what makes one of the decisions logical while the other is purely emotional.

Someone living in Detroit may have a valid reason for owning a gun for self-defense since crime is extremely high there but for most Americans that is simply not the case.
While I don't agree with it all, I understand your reasoning. Thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strollin View Post
I'd bet that just about everyone on this forum knows someone (perhaps themselves) who have been in a serious car accident yet few on this board know anyone that needed to use a gun in self-defense.
I actually have. Mine kept a man out of my old apartment long enough for the police to show up.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #39
Fully Optimized
 
Celery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3,852
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

I had a break in when I was asleep Sunday morning. There was 3 guys in my house but I was locked in my room. I called 911 and they must have heard me because they split. I came out and my TV was in the chair and my VCR off the shelf.

Suppose they didn't leave and decided to murder me? Since then I had a gun so tell me it wasn't necessary.
__________________
I'm being stalked!
Celery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #40
Fully Optimized
 
Smart_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Saudi Arabia
Posts: 3,222
Default Re: Sold my guns and raised money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celery View Post
Home Defense.
Cool man, thanks. Now I'ma gonna get mah self a gun. A water pistol sounds like fun.
__________________

__________________
My main rig (click here).
Smart_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0